Football team hungry, hopeful

Football team hungry, hopeful
Football team hungry, hopeful

Football team hungry, hopeful

As summer progresses, SMU’s football team has visions of a championship in mind. Just picture it:

Seniors hoisted in the air up on the shoulders of underclassmen as the team leaves Gerald J. Ford Stadium, as the 2002 WAC champions. In a lopsided victory vs. Tulsa, the Mustangs cap off a perfect 11-0 season.

As the player, coaches, cheerleaders and fans gather to sing the Varsity, a sense of pride fills the stadium after a triumphant season. This image is not only a dream, but it will be a reality, or so says senior linebacker, B.J. Williams.

“We don’t expect to lose any games, and in order to do that, we have to outwork everyone we play,” Williams said. “Bottom line – We want to win the WAC.”

The early ’80s marked the true Pony Express experience. With the Texas Stadium packed to capacity, the dynamic duo of Eric Dickerson and Craig James led the Mustangs to a 22-1-1 record and two Southwest Conference championships in 1981 and 1982.

Twenty years later the Mustangs are back with a vengeance. Spearheaded by new head coach Phil Bennett, the Mustangs’ winning ways will resume during the 2002 season.

“Summertime is an important part to the success in the fall,” Bennett said. “You want to eliminate the mistakes you make in the spring during summer workout.”

As an NCAA regulation, coaches cannot train players in the summer, and as a result, team captains Vic Viloria, Kevin Garret, Thornton Chandler and Chris Cunningham have been picked to monitor the summer workouts.

“The summer workouts should be similar to the spring workouts,” Cunningham said. “We want to keep the same intensity, as if the coaches were out there on the field with us.”

The Mustangs not only have new uniforms, but a new attitude and dedication.

Sophomore Melvin William, has taken dedication to the next level. Williams not only devotes a majority of his time to football and summer school, but he also makes time for the youths in the community by working in the Adam’s Course as a coach and mentor.

“Every day in the summer I ask myself, ‘What am I doing to be a better player?’,” Williams said.

Players and coaches alike are building camaraderie and trust that should carry over into the season.

“We are building continuity with each other during the summer,” freshman Alvin Nnabuife said. “You trust the players on your team because you sweat together in the summer.”

The players are not the only ones getting ready for the new season. Fans are gearing up as well.

Ford Stadium should be rocking on Aug. 31, when the Mustangs take on Navy at the first home game of the season.

Mustang fans have taken on a whole new attitude as they attempt to be the loudest fans in college sports. With fans and players marching to the same beat, a WAC championship and undefeated season doesn’t seem to be out of reach.