Murderous laughter

Carl Hiaasen’s “Basket Case” is filled with mystery and hysterical wit
 Murderous laughter
Murderous laughter

Murderous laughter

Hilarious yet intriguing, Carl Hiaasen’s latest novel “Basket Case” blends comedy and mystery. Hiaasen intertwines a cast of neurotically witty characters into a murder mystery that will have its readers laughing out loud.

Jack Tragger, once a top-notch reporter, was demoted to writing obits after getting into a heated scuffle with the paper’s executives.

The obit beat has turned Jack into a death-obsessed man. At the age of 46, the same age that Jack London, Jack Kennedy, Elvis Presley, and George Orwell all came to an untimely end, Jack is going nowhere. His ex-girlfriend and mother worry about his obsession but all Jack wants is to do is get his byline back onto the front page.

When famous ex-rocker Jimmy Stoma, the lead singer of the once hit band “Jimmy and the Slut Puppies” is found dead, Jack thinks he has found the story that will resurrect his career. The only problems are his young ambitious editor Emma, Jimmy’s widow the “greedy, ruthless, world-class cunt”, and a slew of other half-sane characters.

Before long, Jack is tangled in a web of murders and must solve who killed the dead “slut puppy” before Jack winds up swimming with the fishes.

Before writing fiction, Hiaasen was a journalist at the Miami Herald. Hiaasen’s official website said he worked as an investigative reporter he exposed “dangerous doctors, crooked land deals and drug corruption in the Bahamas and the Keys.” Hiaasen still writes a twice-weekly column for the Herald.

The journalist-turned-author started writing fiction in the ’80s. His first novel, “Tourist Season,” also about a reporter who unravels a series of murders in Miami, was awarded the title of “one of the best destination reads of all time” by GQ Magazine. Hiaasen had one of his books “Strip Tease” turned into a major motion picture starring Demi Moore and Burt Reynolds.

There is no doubt that Hiaasen has used his years in the newspaper business as the basis of his novels. His experience as an investigative reporter at a nationally known newspaper helps shape his characters into realistic roles.

In “Basket Case”, Jack refers to the Union-Regisester as “dumbed-down crapola, fluff and gimmicks and graphics.” The paper fell into its depraved state of “crapola” when it was bought by the conglomerate Maggad-Fiest.

Hiaasen’s statement about the grotesque state that many national papers have fallen into is not just fictionalized.

“The large chains that have been gobbling up so many dailies have profit margins that would make your average crack dealer blush,” Hiaasen said concerning his novel making a satire of the newspaper industry.

“Readers are being ripped off, communities are being deprived of a vigilant and thorough free press – but stockholders are happy about the bottom line.”

Crime-chasing journalists that reside in Florida are usually the common threads in Hiaasen’s novels and “Basket Case” is no different. What is different is the style in which the book is written. Unlike his other works, “Basket Case” is written in the first person. This tactic provides the reader with a direct view into how the death-fixated middle-aged Tragger feels.

What makes “Basket Case” an enjoyable read is that it provides only a glimpse of reality. Yes, it sets Jack in a real city with an actual job but does not burden its audience with the daily grind of the working world. The book makes a satire of the newspaper business and perfectly stereotypes all of its characters.

From the pill-popping editor to the racist stepfather, Dave, all of the characters provide bountiful humor. They foil each other perfectly and are so outrageous that what could be thought of as offensive is simply witty.

“I’ve got nothing against blacks,” Dave is saying, “but, Jack, look around. They’ve already got basketball, they’ve got football, they’ve got track. Can’t they leave us something? Just one damned sport we can win at? What can they possibly enjoy about golf? For Christ’s sake, you don’t even get to run anywhere.”

Hiaasen has done it again. “Basket Case” provides readers with a fast-paced, easy read. This mystery, spliced with humor in all the right places, will leave its audience on the edge of their seats only to turn the page and break out into uncontrollable giggles.