Orsak fired from Tulsa after 74 days

The University of Tulsa President Geoffrey Orsak, former dean of SMU’s Lyle School of Engineering, was fired Thursday. Orsak’s termination comes after only 74 days in office according to Tulsa World. Executive Vice President Kevan Buck will take over until Orsak’s replacement is found according to a statement released by the university.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, Orsak expresses his disappointment in the university’s decision:

“My family and I made significant professional and personal sacrifices when we uprooted from Dallas so that I would have the special opportunity to lead the University of Tulsa. In my time here, I was truly excited to be doing the very hard work of transforming the university into a nationally recognized force that would bring pride to the TU community and city. I am very disappointed given the lengthy due diligence process for the position that within such a short period of time the board has decided to go in a different direction.”

During his eight years as dean, Orsak improved the overall image and academic stature of the Lyle School of Engineering. With new initiatives like TEDxSMU and the Innovation Lab, Orsak helped lead the Lyle School into the 21st Century.