Children walk with ‘buddies,’ get inspired

SARAH KRAMER/The Daily Campus
Nine-year-old Jordan Steele lines up with her cousin, Ben, before the kickoff of the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas’ Buddy Walk at White Rock Lake Sunday afternoon.

Nine-year-old Jordan Steele lines up with her cousin, Ben, before the kickoff of the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas’ Buddy Walk at White Rock Lake Sunday afternoon. (SARAH KRAMER/The Daily Campus)

Nine-year-old Jordan Steele could not stop smiling as she got her face painted, jumped on a moon bounce and played basketball at the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas’s 10th annual Buddy Walk Sunday at Flag Pole Hill.  

With more than 260 walks nationally, the Dallas-area Buddy Walk had more than 6,000 participants this year, according to Terri McKinney, president of the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas.

The one-mile Buddy Walk is one of many events the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas holds promoting awareness and acceptance of people with Down syndrome with the help from many sponsors, including Park Place Volvo, The Rise School of Dallas and Radio Disney.

“It really is a great fundraiser,” McKinney said. “It builds awareness in the community, and it lets people with Down syndrome see they are not alone.”

The Steele family has been participating in the Buddy Walk for seven years.

“We’ve watched it grow from 500 people to 5,000 people,” Jordan’s mother, Samantha Steele, said as she smiled watching Jordan dance to the live music.

Tripp Steele, Jordan’s father, said, “Getting to see normal kids interact with kids with disabilities is the best part of the day.”

However, families with children with Down syndrome were not the only people affected by the community support at the Buddy Walk.

SMU junior Mallorie Wicker has been participating in the Buddy Walk for the past three years.

“Getting out and playing with people with Down syndrome, while raising awareness, really makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something and helped people, especially in your community,” Wicker said.

Around 1 p.m., after awards were given, McKinney shouted, “Let’s get ready to walk!”

Cheers and clapping erupted from the crowd as participants lined up under a blue and yellow balloon arch to start their one-mile walk around Lake Highland’s neighborhood.

Wagons with balloons tied to them, strollers, posters, banners and dogs crowded the street as participants joined together to walk.

The Gradt family showed their support for their 3-year old son Jason as they carried a banner with the words, “The Jay Walkers: Making the journey one step at a time at my own pace.”

With 66 participants this year, “The Jay Walkers” raised approximately $2,500.  

“It really is great to get support from friends and family,” Bonnie Gradt said, noting that this year’s online donation section really helped them raise money.

Gradt also said their family could not have done it without the help and support of the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas.

“They are our life line” Gradt said. “They have been there since day one answering any questions and concerns we have.”

Along the route were signs portraying facts and statistics about Down syndrome. Before the walk, awards were given out to teams and individuals who raised the most money.

Raising $14,176, Ty Wyl-E’s Coyotes, one of the 92 teams that participated, got creative in their fundraising this year, auctioning a cow. Luke O’Brien, a buddy who participates in SMU’s Best Buddies chapter, won second place, raising $2,600 this year.

Polly Redden, a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, looks forward to this event every year.

“As a parent it’s a great way to see and feel the outpour of support not only from family and friends but also from the community,” she said.