NASCAR driver, SMU alumnus Rob Richardson promotes Relay for Life

TAYLOR HENRY/The Daily Campus
NASCAR driver Rob Richardson, right, sits at the Relay for Life booth by the flagpole Tuesday as SMU student Bretton Leafing, left, gathers information on the annual event from students Greg Pasiadis and Erica Gliga.

NASCAR driver Rob Richardson, right, sits at the Relay for Life booth by the flagpole Tuesday as SMU student Bretton Leafing, left, gathers information on the annual event from students Greg Pasiadis and Erica Gliga. (TAYLOR HENRY/The Daily Campus)

SMU alumnus and NASCAR driver Robert Richardson made an appearance Tuesday supporting SMU’s Relay for Life. Richardson promoted this year’s theme: Fighting cancer with every lap.

Raising money for the American Cancer Society, Relay for Life’s goal this year is to achieve $122,000, which is approximately a $10,000 increase from 2010’s race.

During the kick off event, students recieved Relay for Life information, signed up for teams and bought luminaries.

Currently, SMU’s Relay for Life teams have raised $12,480. Most of the money has been raised through online and solicited donations, as well as organized activities.

Students Shannon Smith and Kayla Klingseisen organized fundraising events with Pokey-O’s, Pluckers’ and the Dallas Stars.

The money raised will go to the American Cancer Society, which works to help prevent and detect cancer at early stages. The society offers free information, services and programs to those affected by cancer. It also funds medical research for cancer treatment.

“Our top fundraisers for Relay for Life this year are Celeste Favrot ($3,500), Allison Hollins ($2,320), and Jenny Smith ($1,000),” Smith said.

As a committee member, Klingseisen explained different fundraising techniques. Along with soliciting private donations, the committee works to obtain sponsorships from local organizations. The committee is currently selling luminaria bags.

Klingseisen said the bags “will contain a candle and [we’ll] line them on the boulevard the night of the event to represent someone who has battled cancer, is currently battling cancer or who passed away from cancer.”

Also involved is freshman Celeste Favrot, chair of the Missions committee. Favrot is responsible for ensuring that Health Initiatives are present before, during and after the event, as well as overseeing activities and disseminating information on cancer prevention and detection.

Students have already begun organizing into teams for the relay event.

Freshman Damilola Salako said that she and several of her friends are forming a Virginia-Snyder team for the relay. Salako feels that Relay for Life is “a great way to raise money for cancer research” because it “actually works…a lot is accomplished.”

Leading up to the main event, there will be three “Team Captain Meetings.” They will be held on March 8 , March 22 and April 1 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Forum.  For more information on teams, please contact Allison Hollins or Cori Bray.

The relay will take place on April 15 and 16 from 5:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. on Bishop Boulevard.

For more information about Relay For Life events, please check the SMU teams’ website or friend Relay SMU on Facebook for more updates.