Faculty Senate meets for first time this year

SMU Senate Faculty met for the first time this year on Wednesday afternoon in Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

President R. Gerald Turner as well as other members of the faculty discussed various issues that affect the student body.

Among the topics discussed was SMU’s move to the Big East Conference. President Turner expressed both excitement and caution about what needs to happen for the move to be successful.

“We’re not going to stay in the Big East unless our attendance goes up,” Turner said.

He pointed out that Temple University faced that problem before they left the Big East, but he seemed confident that it would not be an issue at SMU.

Continuing the Big East talk, President Turner addressed the idea that joining the Big East would mean more travel for the Mustangs.

Turner turned down the idea, comparing the travel load to the WAC days, saying it’s just flying in a different direction.

President Turner also discussed the groundbreaking of the new residential commons, which is scheduled to open in the fall of 2014, the accreditations for the schools and the need for more “scholarship support than we have.”

Some members of the faculty voiced concern over the words of Dr. Stephen Rankin, university chaplain, when he said, “Our view of reality flows from the fundamentals of the Christian faith.”

Dennis Foster, chair of the English Department, brought up the issue, saying that religion is something that “the senate needs to know about and think through.”

Foster reinforced the fact that despite SMU’s involvement with the Methodist church, SMU is a non-sectarian school.

Foster also discussed the new program in faith and learning scholars, which asks students about their personal relationships with Christianity on its application.

Foster believes this application excludes non-Christians.

Vice President for Student Affairs Lori White said that the chaplain is being misunderstood.

“The chaplain’s office has been and will continue to be open to students of all faiths,” White said.

Senior Associate Dean Peter Moore also defended the chaplain. He pointed out that at least one member of the faith and learning scholars is not Christian.

It was agreed upon to invite the chaplain to the next senate meeting to clear up the issue.

SMU Director of Engaged Learning Susan Kress gave a presentation about the program’s goals and services.

Accompanying Kress were two students who were “unbridled learners” through the program and had their projects accepted.

The students were senior Lindsay Sockwell, who went to Zambia and taught dance, and Michael McCarthy, who developed a database to help doctors and nurses better monitor their patients past medical records.

Kress said that the program can help students attain grants, as well as help them answer the questions, “What do I care about?” and “What do I plan to do about it?”

The next Senate Faculty meeting will be Feb. 15.