Top 5 reasons to attend a SMU sporting event

As many may know, SMU is not exactly known for the roaring crowds during sporting events like they are at universities such as Texas A&M, OU and UT.

However, one thing that is certain is that SMU sporting events are something to look forward to.

If you never attend a game how do you know what you’re missing out on?

Universities around the world pride themselves in their students and the students proudly rep their school.

Let’s be honest, we all know we go to the best university.

Why not show everyone else that by getting wild and crazy at SMU’s numerous sporting events throughout the year?

Although there are many reasons to attend games, I’m listing five in an effort to remind fellow Mustangs about some of the reasons we love SMU so much.

1. You’re only an undergrad once!!

Your time at SMU is limited. As far as I know, there are no Van Wilders on campus and we’re all trying to get our degree in four to five years. Think about it. That’s a limited amount of time to go to school, party, spend your parent’s money and GO TO DIVISION 1 GAMES FOR FREE! When it’s time to order our cap and gown we’re all going to ask ourselves, “where did the time go?” If you want to regret not taking advantage of everything SMU has to offer then that’s your prerogative. If that’s not how you feel then Tivo your shows and go watch a game. They only happen once.

2. Another excuse to wear your new red skinny jeans or show off your abs!

Lets face it ladies, we all love to be the cutest one in the crowd. Now rip off the tags on your newest blue cashmere sweater and wear it to the game! Boys, we see you in the gym all the time so show us what you’ve been working on and paint your body or just come shirtless! It’s a sporting event so who even really cares?

3. Tailgating

Tailgate at the tents, tailgate in your dorm room or heck, tailgate by yourself. The point I’m trying to make is that you can’t tailgate if you don’t go to a game! So plan on going to games and tell your friends. It’s just another excuse to not do your homework or study for that test that’s a week away.

4. The only place where bullying is not only accepted, it’s gladly promoted!

Grab the roster on the way in, sit behind the visiting teams bench or find the referees and remind everyone as to why SMU is the best. Who doesn’t love a good heckler? No visiting team should feel comfortable stepping on our campus. Now show the Mustang athletic teams that you’ve got their back and see how long it takes before you make a Rice Owl cry.

5. Freebies. Lots and Lots of Freebies.

When have you ever been to an SMU sporting event and not gotten something for free? For those of you who can’t even remember the last time you went to a sporting event in general let me inform you on all the goodies I’ve seen given away just this season. Not only have I seen Vera Bradley duffel bags being thrown in to the stands but there have been T-shirts, sunglasses, energy drinks galore (so that you may cheer on the Ponies at your fullest potential), food, food and more food giveaways. Save your money. Go to the games. Have some fun.

Despite contrary belief, our athletes need us. How can we expect them to win every game if we don’t even show up to watch them?

SMU saw what happened last year when our mens basketball team took down one of the top ranked teams, Memphis.

If we’re being really honest, everyone was expecting to get a thrashing from Memphis on our home court, but we won!

If you ask any returning basketball player what helped push them during the challenging game they will tell you the crowd.

It’s simple, if you want to help our SMU teams win, then go show them. Who knows maybe Coach Doh will pull everyone in the locker room after the game again!

Mercedes Owens is a junior majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. She can be reached for comment at [email protected]