Mustangs defeat TCU Horned Frogs, 47-38

Senior+post+Christine+Elliott+attempts+to+make+a+basket+during+Thursday+evening%E2%80%99s+match+against+TCU.+The+women%E2%80%99s+basketball+team+beat+TCU+47-38.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Senior post Christine Elliott attempts to make a basket during Thursday evening’s match against TCU. The women’s basketball team beat TCU 47-38.

Senior post Christine Elliott attempts to make a basket during Thursday evening’s match against TCU. The women’s basketball team beat TCU 47-38. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The SMU women’s basketball team beat TCU 47-38 Thursday night at Moody Coliseum. The Mustangs opened the game with an 11-2 run and kept this lead through the majority of the game.

However TCU was able to take their first lead of the game to go up 29-27 with 9:30 left in the second half. Just after losing the lead, the Mustangs rallied behind senior Christine Elliot to come back and finish off TCU. Elliot hit an important basket to put the Mustangs up 31-29. Directly after that, Alisha Filmore hit a three-pointer for the Mustangs to establish a five-point lead. SMU stole the ball and turned the steal into two made free throws by Elliot.

Elliot finished the game with a double-double, recording 10 points and 13 rebounds. Ten of those 13 rebounds for Elliot were offensive boards, and the senior had three of these offensive rebounds in the last few minutes of the game to help the Mustangs win. Senior Samantha Mahnesmith recorded 12 points, hitting 4-7 from the field and adding three free throws.

On the defensive end, the Mustangs had a strong night. In addition to holding TCU to 38 points, SMU finished the game with eight steals, including a couple of steals towards the end of the game that were vital to SMU’s victory.

The Mustangs start the season 3-0, this win probably their toughest in staying undefeated.

SMU’s next game will be away at North Texas on Nov. 22 at 7 p.m.