Stay fit over your holiday break

Hilary Schleier/ The Daily Campus
Jogging outdoors is a great way to workout no matter where you are.

Jogging outdoors is a great way to workout no matter where you are. (Hilary Schleier/ The Daily Campus)

It can be tricky trying to keep up with a healthy lifestyle over the holiday break.

Home cooked meals, holiday treats and traveling all make it difficult to ignore your cravings. Sleeping in and going out with old friends can make it difficult to follow your regular fitness routine.

Many people may tell themselves it is all right to forget their healthy habits over the holidays, thinking they’ll make up for it during the new year.

It is better for you to stay on track now and not try and make up for bad choices later.

“Don’t give up on your workout routines completely,” Kelly Richards, the fitness coordinator at SMU, said. “Set a goal for yourself and stick to it.”

Richards says that working out every other day is a great way to stay in shape over the holiday break. Exercise is key, especially if you indulge in the occasional holiday craving.

Her tips for people going on vacation are to research the area you are traveling to ahead of time and see what fitness centers are close by. Many fitness centers offer guest passes or have trial periods.

24 Hour Fitness offers seven day passes to anyone who has never been to the facility or hasn’t been in the past six months.

For people staying at a hotel, it is important that you make sure it has a workout facility.

If the place you are traveling to offers neither of those options, pack a pair of sneakers and headphones and find a safe place to run or walk.

Laura Murphy, a senior at SMU, said that her weekly workout routine consists of spinning as well as core fusion classes at Exhale Spa.

When she goes home for the holidays Murphy said she is a member of a local fitness club and tries to stick to her daily workout routine as much as possible because her family keeps their pantry stocked with snacks.

“It’s immediately a marathon of wanting to eat at all the restaurants I miss, all of the food I miss,” Murphy said. “I have two younger siblings so the house is always stocked with food.”

Murphy is trying the Blue Print cleanse to see if that can help keep away some of her holiday cravings.

“It cleans you out and makes you feel a little more refreshed and awake,” she said. “You’re supposed to not crave as much sweets and fat food.”

Over the holidays, whether you’re at home or on vacation, many people enjoy eating out. In order to make sure that you find the best option possible Richards says it is a good idea to research the restaurant’s menu before you go.

“Find a healthy option and know what you are going to order before you even leave the house,” Richards said.

Also, don’t go to any holiday parties on an empty stomach. If you do you may find yourself overeating. Additionally, avoid high calorie drinks such as egg nog, margaritas or any whole milk lattes.

It is important that you don’t try and diet over the holidays, just maintain healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Remember it is possible to have fun, stay in shape and eat the foods you love.

As far as New Year’s resolutions are concerned Shelley Smyth, a consultant at Medi Weightloss Clinics in Fort Worth, said, “Make sure your resolution is doable. Don’t set a goal that you can’t reach.”

It is important to be specific when you are making your New Year’s Resolution. Smyth suggests that you either set the number of calories you will eat per day, the number of days to exercise per week and how long, or how many ounces of water to consume, to ensure that you have specific goals to stick to.

Make sure you set short term, monthly, rewards as well as long term rewards for each goal you make.

“If you fall short, don’t give up!” Smyth said. “Forgive yourself and remember that tomorrow is a new day, your rewards are still there.”