Cox launches summer business camp

SMU’s first ever business boot camp will offer 40 class sessions focusing on a wide variety of business skills including finance, marketing, information technology and operations management.

The Division of Executive and Management Development at the SMU Cox School of Business has designed its first four-week business program for non-business majors.

Bob Gardner, director of the Division of Executive Management Development, said they saw there was an opportunity at a time when the job market was tight to help offer students the leverage needed to successfully compete in the job market.”

“We have designed this program so that non-business majors can balance their specialization-whether liberal arts or science-with business skills and enter into the workforce as knowledgeable and well-rounded employees,” he said. “This program is going to be an intensive learning experience, covering critical business knowledge.”

The business institute is open to students who have completed their junior or senior years of college or who have recently graduated.

“Our programs are usually designed for executives,” Gardner said. “That’s why the business boot camp was such an intriguing idea because it allowed us to reach out to a younger age group.”

The four-week long program varies in price range from $5,495-6995, depending on early application and residence or non-residence status. Students will meet twice a day, with a three-hour class in the morning and a three-hour class in the afternoon. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons will be given off.

Cox faculty members will teach students in their specific field of expertise. Besides developing business skills, students will learn career-planning strategies and tactics to assist them in their future job searches.

Those who successfully complete the program will earn a non-credit SMU/Cox Summer Business Institute Certificate.

Mary Carey, director of business development, said most corporations and human resources departments recognize certificates.

“[Certificates] show the employer that in addition to pursuing a four-year degree, you have also taken the time to broaden your knowledge base,” she said.

Carey said the response to the program has been positive. It is the only program of its kind in the Southwest. Students are coming in from SMU, Vanderbilt, University of Texas at Austin, Baylor and Abilene Christian University.

“We are getting applications from juniors, seniors and recent graduates from all different majors – everything from advertising to political science and international relations,” Carey said.