Law students help battle child abuse

When we hear stories of child abuse and neglect, we are tempted to cover or ears or to say “poor little thing,” but some of the students at the Dedman School of Law are doing something about this tragedy.

Ashlie Thomas, an SMU law student, spoke to representatives at the law school about hosting a symposium on child abuse in addition to the volunteer work that the law students already do.

“This month is Child Abuse Awareness month,” Thomas said. “I had been involved in family courts volunteer work and thought that it would be a great idea if we could have some of the people who work with abused children come to speak to us. I went to see Rebecca Greenan and she agreed.”

Rebecca Greenan is with Public Services at SMU. A panel discussion was held Wednesday at the Underwood Law Library.

“Ashlie has worked really hard with the other students to put this program together,” Greenan said. “We wanted to help people become more aware of this problem.”

According to a report issued by the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services in Dallas County, there were 4,337 confirmed victims of child abuse and/or neglect in 2001. There were 3,718 children placed under Child Protective Services’ (CPS) responsibility and 23 fatalities for this area last year alone. An estimated 2,988 children now reside in foster care and 3,527 children are in substitute care as well. This is with a total child population of approximately 627,628 for Dallas in 2001.

Dr. Janet Squires of Children’s Medical Center of Dallas explained how the medical profession identifies signs of child abuse.

Indicators of physical abuse include bruises, welts, burns, cuts, broken bones, sprains, bites, etc. that are deliberately inflicted. Doctors also look for internal bleeding and repeated and/or frequent injuries.

Kathy Jackson of CPS addressed child abuse investigations and the reasons why children are removed from their homes.

CPS investigators not only look for signs of physical abuse, but emotional or sexual abuse and/or neglect.

Some of the indicators of neglect are the guardian’s failure to provide food, shelter, medicine, etc., to such a degree that a child’s health and safety are endangered. Signs of sexual or emotional abuse may or may not be obvious to the naked eye.

Barbara Elias-Percival, director of Texas Lawyers for Children has been working with Thomas and other law students.

“While it is true a child may be wrongfully removed from a home sometimes because of smoke-screens (claims of wrongdoing by a caregiver that are not valid), there are even more cases that are never reported at all and should be,” Elias-Percival said. “It becomes the responsibility of the courts, the investigators and the attorneys to look out for the welfare of the children. That’s why discussions like these are so important.”