SPCA helps dogs from West, Texas find homes

The SPCA of Dallas is sheltering dogs rescued from West, Texas.
Mackenna Scripps / The Daily Campus

The SPCA of Dallas is sheltering dogs rescued from West, Texas. (Mackenna Scripps / The Daily Campus)

After the West, Texas explosion, many dogs were wandering the streets in a need of a home. The SPCA of Dallas was quick to help with the situation.

Fifty-seven dogs were lost after the explosion – some looking for their families and some in need of a new home.

The SPCA helped the Humane Society of Central Texas by taking in most of the dogs and putting them up for adoption.

“As of now a lot of them are still in the back of both of our shelters getting spayed or neutered or treated for any kind of sickness that they might have. So a lot of them are still not up for adoption quite yet,” SPCA Communications Specialist Stephanie Daniels said.

However, they do have a few dogs now that are ready to be adopted.

“It’s really cool to see dogs come from different places because, I know this sounds crazy, they sometimes have different personalities than what I’m used to. It’s cool to see their different personality traits and they’re just really nice dogs. All of them that came in were really sweet,” Daniels said.

Many people want to help out in any way possible and decided to adopt knowing there were so many dogs in need of homes.

While the SPCA is helping many dogs find new homes, others are helping reunite dogs with their families.

“Somebody made a West Texas Facebook page and they took photos of many of the dogs that were found wandering the streets and that’s how they were able to help reunite families,” Daniels said.

For more information about the lost dogs from West Texas, contact the SPCA at 214-461-1846.