Asian musician seeks beauty, truth

Magdalen Hsu-Li’s new album, Fire, teaches you not to judge an album by its cover. The wild, China doll image used for cover art conjures up sounds of oriental flutes and sitars.

In fact, her voice sounds more American than most of the music flooding the pop alternative market.

Hsu-Li is the daughter of Chinese immigrants. She was born in a small town, Martinsville, Va., She recalls how hard it was growing up surrounded by cows, cornfields, Ku Klux Klan marches and preppy debutantes.

With the help of MTV and artists such as Peter Gabriel, she soon figured out there was more to life than cattle and white girls in pretty dresses.

Hsu-Li’s latest album allows her to enter the music world with a strong Asian foundation. Her music reflects the real-world struggles that, all too often, are simply covered with a new coat of paint.

She makes the world look at its real self. Under the surface is a place of hate and sorrow, accompanied by beauty and hope.

The purpose of her music is heard in the first song, “Redefinition.” It’s a ballad about a girl who’s been destroyed in every possible way. With nothing to lose, she “rolls the dice” and takes another chance in the world with a new identity and a new perspective.

Hsu-Li also includes an ode to the murdered Matthew Shepard and the community of Laramie, Wisc., in “Laramie.” It tugs at the heartstrings, reflecting the suffering of those affected deeply by the tragedy. Toward the end of the song, Hsu-Li gives a little advice on hate: “Before it is too late don’t forget to open your mind / And use your second sight to see the other side of Laramie.”

The rest of the songs are rather similar. The lyrics can be a little chaotic, making you wonder what on earth she’s trying to say. And the repetitive single-word choruses get a little monotonous.

But there’s substance to her words. And even if you can’t understand lyrics, the instrumentation and vocals are easy listening.

Hsu-Li has a mature voice that urges you to listen with its sincerity. This stands in contrast to the goofy girly tones that Britney Spears cackles out every so often.

Hsu-Li shows her skill as an accomplished musician. While other artists just play along with their lead guitar players, Hsu-Li takes the lead.

Whether she’s on the piano or the guitar, her music is ear candy for those who can discern musicality from mindless plucking.

Some of the later songs might run long, but the album on the whole is well done. The disc also features a bonus track to satisfy the head-bangers in a freaky, cat-killing, pull-off-the-headphones-before-your-ears-explode kind of way.

Also an accomplished painter, writer and speaker, Hsu-Li lectures across the nation at college campuses (She was at SMU on April 2), speaking on topics including culture, diversity and sexuality.

Hsu-Li’s current national tour ends in May. Check out www.magdalenhsuli.com for more information on Hsu-Li and her remaining tour dates.