The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Q&A with this year’s Homecoming King and Queen

Kappa+Kappa+Gamma%E2%80%99s+Grace+Roberts+and+Beta+Theta+Pi%E2%80%99s+Seth+Ramey+were+crowned+Homecoming+King+and+Queen+Saturday.+
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Kappa Kappa Gamma’s Grace Roberts and Beta Theta Pi’s Seth Ramey were crowned Homecoming King and Queen Saturday.

Kappa Kappa Gamma’s Grace Roberts and Beta Theta Pi’s Seth Ramey were crowned Homecoming King and Queen Saturday. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Seth Ramey

What are your plans when you graduate college?

I’m hoping to work in international marketing or business development

What were you thinking when your name was announced for king and queen?

It was exhilarating. It’s all a blur but I’m pretty sure my first thought was about how happy I was that the efforts of Beta and Alpha Chi had paid off. Everyone, especially our Homecoming Chair Matt Matusek, worked so hard over the past week and it was great to see the benefits of our efforts. I also remember bear-hugging President Turner!

What is your major/minor?

I’m a marketing major and French minor

Where are you from originally?

Denton, TX

What do you like to do with your free time?

I love spending time with my fraternity brothers on the intramural fields or at Milo’s. I’m also an avid fly fisherman, golfer, and solo musician so I love spending time doing those activities.

What will be your defining moment in your career at SMU?

My defining moment was this August when Beta received our charter from Nationals. For Beta, chartering is a huge process with a ton of requirements to meet. We were able to complete these requirements in only 2 years and also won the top award that Nationals gives out. Having been a Founding Father of Beta in the Spring of 2009, it’s been amazing to see us go from a startup to a successful chapter on this campus.

What was your favorite part of the homecoming experience?

My favorite part of homecoming was Field Day. We had an awesome time doing all of the Field Day activities that we hadn’t done since elementary school.

What is your favorite class you’ve taken at SMU?

My favorite class was International Marketing with Thomas Poehlman. In the class we did actual marketing research on foreign countries including translating surveys and sending them to people living in those countries

What advice would you offer to first year students?

Get your work done first. There’s always stuff going on around campus so the temptation is always there to want to go out and do social things. However, you have to remember why you’re here: to get an education. So get back from class, get all of your work done, and then go take part in all of the other fun stuff.

Grace Roberts

I am currently applying for the Teach for America program. So after graduating in May, I will either be teaching elementary students in an inner-city school, or possibly working in either the print or broadcast journalism industry.

When I heard the announcer call my name, I was honestly shocked! I was relieved to know that the hard work of my Kappa sisters was rewarded. Also, as I saw my family jump up and scream with excitement, I couldn’t have been more happy to know that I made them proud.

What is your major/minor?

I will graduate with a minor in journalism with minors in Communication Studies and Fashion in the Media.

Where are you from originally?

I was born and raised in Little Rock, AR. Woo Pig Sooie!

In my free time, I like to spend time with my friends and family–going to I Heart Yogurt and the movies, especially. I also like to run the Katy Trail and read on my Nook.

Besides representing Kappa Kappa Gamma and taking home the crown for Homecoming 2011, graduating with all the amazing friends that I have made over the past four years will be the defining moment in my career at SMU.

My favorite part of the Homecoming experience was strengthening my friendships with several of the girls in my chapter–from staying up all night painting the peruna and building the float, to celebrating after the game!

My favorite class I have taken was Media in Great Britain, which I took with Professor Pederson while studying abroad in London last summer.

I would advise first-year students to take advantage of everything SMU has to offer. I have loved meeting people from all walks of life through my involvement in several different on-campus organizations, and I especially loved studying in London and in Taos. I always say, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

(Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

(Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)