EPIC denies Program Council funding for Ke$ha concert

Although Ke$ha did not receive Evening Programs Initiatives contributions (EPIC) funding, she will still perform at SMU for Program Council’s spring concert on April 28.

EPIC funding is provided to student-initiated late night programs that promote social activities on or around campus without the consumption of alcohol.

Program Council requested $5,000, the max amount of EPIC funding, but received nothing.

“It’s the first [time] it’s ever happened. [The vote] was split down the middle,” EPIC Committee Chair Richard Owens said.

The EPIC Committee has seven members, comprised of faculty and students at SMU, who strive to uphold the mission of the Student Affairs Drug and Alcohol Task Force Recommendations.

Owens, the eighth member, made the final decision.

Because the decision was split, the student advisory board had the final say in funding.

According to that group, Ke$ha would promote activities that are against EPIC’s goals.

Corbin Swagerty, the president of Program Council and a member of EPIC was shocked by the decision.

“EPIC has never not given funding strictly based on the content of the art,” he said. “That’s why it’s the first decision of its kind and is very surprising.”

Swagerty did not have a vote for this event.

A fan of Ke$ha, Owens said those against funding her had valid points.

“In order to maintain the principles of EPIC and what it was started for, it wasn’t in our best interest to give her money,” Owens said.

Swagerty believes the decision was poorly based around one aspect of EPIC’s funding criteria.

“In the past, Program Council had a strong partnership with EPIC Committee because we have a similar mission on campus,” he said.

According to Swagerty, Program Council’s spring concert featuring Ke$ha is a great opportunity to provide a free option for students to socialize on campus without the consumption of alcohol.

Program Council hopes there will still be a free alternative to the event. However, because Ke$ha is expensive and did not receive funding, students may have to pay a small amount.

“There may be an option [for students] to pay more for better seats,” Swagerty said.

In the past, EPIC Committee has funded events such as Dream Week, R2B2, talent shows and dances on campus.

Artists who have received EPIC funding within the last two years included a local comedian and rapper. Both contained positive lyrics unrelated to drugs and alcohol.

“The show is going to go on with or without EPIC funding,” Owens said. “There is no way in the world I would ask Ke$ha to censor her lyrics—nor would I want to.”