Spas help relieve exam pressures

Stress relief: Therapies at area salons provide post exam relaxation
 Spas help relieve exam pressures
Spas help relieve exam pressures

Spas help relieve exam pressures

Every girl wants to be pampered, especially after a long week of classes. From facials and massages, to waxing and body wraps, these rituals are rampant.

SMU is surrounded by ultra -chic Dallas spas, and choosing one can be a daunting task. An informal survey of undergraduate SMU girls indicated that atmosphere and price were the two most important factors in choosing a spa.

“In looking for a spa, I look for somewhere quiet and luxurious where I know I will receive great service,” sophomore Christine Booth said.

Avalon’s great prices and trendy atmosphere cater to the needs of students. It is located at the bottom of an apartment complex on McKinney Avenue. The majority of the people in the area are young and active.

Avalon recommends the “scrub and rub” package for students. It is an exfoliation and relaxation treatment that lasts two hours and involves a salt glow with dead-sea salts followed by a full body massage.

Avalon also features a unique deep cleansing herbal steam, which is, according to the Avalon Web site, a “customized aromatherapy steam to purify, detoxify and renew the body.” The steam gets impurities out of the skin leaving it clean and refreshed.

Most of the spas mentioned claim to not have many college age male clients, but the Avalon sports facial is available for men. It only lasts 15 minutes, and it is “a shorter version of the basic facial.”

For the students willing to spend a little more, the “hotter n’ Texas summer rock massage” at the Spa at the Crescent is a real treat. This procedure uses hot stones to massage the body by relaxing and stretching muscles.

“The Spa at the Crescent has an older crowd, but has a really luxurious atmosphere. It is definitely a great place to relax,” first-year student Courtney Turner said.

The Spa at the Crescent is slightly more expensive than the other spas mentioned.

Another treatment worth splurging on after long hours of studying is “the well-being back massage” at the Greenhouse Day Spa. This massage lasts 60 minutes and focuses on the back and shoulders to relieve tension and muscular aches. It is perfect after spending hours hunched over textbooks.

The Greenhouse Day Spa features “the quick fix facial.” It is a mini-facial that produces the same results as a regular facial without redness or swelling. This facial is complete in only 45 minutes.

Of all the spas and treatments mentioned, “the quick fix facial” and the “well-being back massage,” both offered at the Greenhouse Day Spa, seems to be the best deal for students.

“The quick fix facial” is ideal for the student on the go with not much time, with desire to make a good appearance. This facial is the least expensive of all the facials mentioned and allows time for pampering.

“The well-being back massage” is also ideal as it targets the areas of the back that are related to stress. Most college students experience stress daily, and unlike other massages which spend time on the entire body, this massage targets the areas where students need the treatment most.

According to their Web site, The Greenhouse Day Spa is a “comfortable place for men and women to build a regimen of personal care essential to maintain the feeling and appearance of health, vitality and good looks.”

“They offer great facials. When you leave your skin incredibly smooth,” sophomore Laurel Paul said.

The Grand Spa offers a variety of facials, including the “instant radiance facial,” which firms the face improving the tone and the color of the skin.

The Grand Spa International offers “comfort and serenity” in an atmosphere that is “elegant yet unassuming for the leisure person as well as the corporate person.” Its treatments are geared toward “wellness and grooming to correct and caress you in gentle caring.”

Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon and Spa is closer to the SMU campus than the other spas mentioned and focuses on service in a relaxing atmosphere.

It features a unique lip treatment. The “olive oil lip” treatment exfoliates and moisturizes lips, making them incredibly soft.

Another unique treatment the Red Door Spa offers is the seaweed hydro massage, where, according to their Web site, “underwater jets gently massage your body while you relax.” At the same time, the seaweed “nourishes cells by replenishing essential vitamins, minerals, trace elements and amino acids while increasing the elimination of built up toxins.”

Many college women are very active, and the Red Door Spa has a massage that is perfect for girls with an on-the-go lifestyle. The sports massage “can be tailored to concentrate on the muscles relevant to your particular spot or activity.”

Spas are hot, and Dallas is a great place to find them. While they are expensive, spas can help students to temporarily escape the hassles of college life and enter a haven of relaxation. Whether relieving muscles in the back, or removing impurities from the face, spa treatments have a lasting effect, even after the pampering is complete.