Summer school takes planning

Summer school takes planning
Summer school takes planning

Summer school takes planning

If there are not enough semesters left to take all the courses you need to graduate on time, then summer school can serve as a saving grace.

Many students choose to get a course or two completed during summer sessions at SMU. The summer work can reduce the number of hours that have to be taken during fall or spring semesters.

A problem many students face is the high cost of attending summer sessions at SMU. The cost combined with the lack of scholarships for summer classes has some students opting to take classes elsewhere.

Universities and colleges in a student’s hometown and in some cases even community colleges are viable options.

First, students must apply to the university and get accepted before they can take summer school. This usually requires a transcript and a letter of good standing from an adviser or dean.

Deciding which classes to take and enrolling are the next steps. General education requirements are usually the bulk of classes taken during summer school at other universities.

Students must get prior approval to get credit for classes taken at other universities.

A “student petition for advanced approval of transfer work” sheet must be completed and signed. It asks whether the class you wish to take is part of your major or minor, if the class is an elective or if it will fulfill a general education plan. It also requires that the class taken at another university matches a course offered at SMU.

An academic adviser must sign the sheet before it is passed on for signatures from the department chairman, the assistant dean and finally the associate dean for general education.

Not all classes transfer. Classes in a student’s major are generally not accepted. Judy Stratton, the admission assistant for journalism, said that most classes counting toward a major in journalism are not allowed to be taken elsewhere. All advisers tell students to check and get written approval before taking a class.

Stratton added that most cultural formations are also non-transferable to SMU.

Different colleges also have different policies. For example, the School of Engineering will accept credit for courses from a community college. Dedman College, however, will not.

If students wish to receive credit for classes taken outside SMU during the summer, the key is proper planning. Discussing the process with deans and advisers can save students headaches.

Another key is time. The earlier students begin the process, the easier it is to manage any roadblocks that occur.