Grads celebrate commencement traditions

It’s what every student works for. It’s the single occasion that unites college students around the nation. It doesn’t matter if you go to the smallest college out east or to the largest university down south.

There is still a celebration. There is still honor and there is still recognition. After all, that’s what graduation is all about.

SMU’s Commencement weekend goes beyond the normal celebration and adds years of tradition. The SMU Class of 2002 will participate in SMU’s 87th annual commencement weekend.

“The activities that make up Commencement Weekend express some of the best traditions of SMU,” R. Gerald Turner said in his President’s Message.

The weekend begins with a Baccalaureate Service at 8 p.m. May 17 in McFarlin Auditorium. Baccalaureate is a religious service with a special sermon for the graduates. Each graduate gets only two tickets for the service with a simulcast to be held in the theater of Hughes- Trigg Student Center.

The Rotunda Recessional immediately follows the Baccalaureate service. This is one of SMU’s greatest traditions, marking the end of a senior’s undergraduate years and the beginning of their association with SMU as alumni.

The Rotunda Recessional is a meaningful and personal tradition for senior corporate communications and public affairs major Julie Carney. She participated in Rotunda Passage as a freshman in August 1998 and is now looking forward to participating in the Rotunda Recessional.

“It’s a timeless classic,” Carney said. “It’s something that past graduates all participated in, and I want to be a part of the tradition.”

A graduation reception held by President and Mrs. Turner, the class of 2002 and the Alumni Association will follow. The reception is the most relaxed time of the weekend. It’s a time for people to meet and congratulate the graduation candidates.

The Commencement Convocation is at 9:30 a.m. on May 18 in Moody Coliseum. The formal ceremony is for students from all of the schools within the university. Undergraduate students will be in their caps and gowns. Doctoral candidates and honorary degree recipients will be hooded. During this ceremony Senior Class President Jonathan Childers will present the class gift – an addition to the SMU Career Center in Hughes-Trigg. Also, a formal address will be delivered by Kathy Bates, a 1969 SMU graduate.

The students do not receive their diplomas during this ceremony. The graduates are personally presented their diplomas in their respective school or departmental ceremonies. There will be 19 separate school and departmental ceremonies across campus.

Even though students are ready to move on to the next chapters of their lives, there is still some anxiety felt.

“I’m ready for classes to be over, but not knowing what the future holds is pretty scary,” said Polly Hobson, a senior CCPA major.

Carney had mixed emotions about graduating as well. There is both sadness and happiness felt.

“I’m sad a chapter of my life has ended,” Carney said, who will work with her sorority as a national representative for Pi Beta Phi. “But I’m really excited about starting the next chapter.”