Backpacking trip takes students to Canyonland National Park

Albert Mitugo, assistant manager at the OAC, will guide a group of SMU students through the basics of backpacking and camping on the floor of the Salt Creek Canyon at Canyonland National Park in Moad, Utah.

This trip will take place March 7-13. The registration deadline is today at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports and the full payment of $240 is due at the time of registration. Those who register today will be placed on a waiting list as all slots are currently filled.

Beginning on March 7, the group will travel to Utah, stopping the first night in New Mexico. Once at the National Park, they will camp in a public campground before continuing to the floor of the canyon. The cost of the trip will cover food-in-field and equipment used while camping.

The rating is beginner-moderate, which means that this trip does not require any former knowledge of backpacking. It is open to people of all abilities and interests.

They will start from the basics of camping and beginning to live out of a backpack. The only requirement is that participants should be able to carry a backpack that weighs approximately forty pounds.

“Part of the goal of the OAC is to prepare students to grow in the leadership field,” said Mitugo.

Mitugo has been planning and guiding hiking trips with the OAC for more than 13 years. He chose the Canyonlands in Utah for their natural beauty and history.

“While walking, participants will have the opportunity to be in touch with the beauty that can’t be found in a big city,” said Mitugo.