New look for business school fashion show

Photo by Mark Norris, The Daily Campus

New look for business school fashion show (Photo by Mark Norris, The Daily Campus)

A new name and a new look greeted an overflow crowd Tuesday for the annual business school fashion show.

Previous versions of the show were entitled “Dress for Success,” but as SMU Retail Society President Anne Lowery explained to audience members, student organizers felt a change was necessary.

“We felt the need to capture the same concept [from previous years], but also showcase some of our own SMU designers,” Lowery said.

The show was renamed the “Business Savvy Fashion Couture Fashion Show” and featured not only business formal attire but also business casual and even casual looks for time away from the office.

“The name reflects the importance of not only looking the part but also being the part in the business world,” Lowery said.

Before the models took the runway, Lowery introduced two special guests. Christina McLarty of CBS11/UPN 21 and Stephanie Quadri of D Magazine gave fashion advice to audience members.

McLarty emphasized being aware of the situations you are in when dressing for work.

“If you walk up for a business meeting and you don’t look appropriate, then chances are you will already have lost some respect from the people you are meeting,” she said. Knowing the work environment you are going into is an important part of dressing for business, according to McLarty. She also suggested to seniors on job interviews to spend money on one good suit and wear it to every interview.

“It is so important to look good and make a great impression,” McLarty said.

Quadri followed up by reminding audience members that the way they dress is a representation of their employer.

“I have to keep in mind that whoever I talk to – I’m representing D, and the way I look is a part of that,” she said.

The show featured eight male and seven female models, all SMU students. They wore clothes from Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Billy Reid, Harold’s, JC Penney and J.Crew.

Outside the ballroom, local vendors were selling handcrafted jewelry and other goods. Audience members also received a pamphlet with dressing tips and the latest fashion trends.

The Retail Club, Alpha Kappa Psi and Delta Sigma Pi organized and held the event.