Real D: The new movies are being revolutionized

Have you noticed that 3-D movies are back? I have and I’m so excited! Why? Well, this isn’t the return of the flimsy red and blue glasses.

It is, however, a technology that will revolutionize how we watch movies at our local movie theaters.

Real D Cinema is digital projection technology that displays at 144 frames per second (that’s 6 times faster than a normal movie!). It allows the projection of a movie in 3-D with just one digital projector, unlike the two used in the old days.

This digital projector alternately projects the right-eye frame and left-eye frame. It circularly polarizes (a very complex term in electrodynamics) these frames clockwise for the right eye and counterclockwise for the left eye, using a liquid crystal screen placed in front of the projector lens.

That’s the technical side of it, but what does it mean for the film industry? The goal is to get your butts back in the seats at your local movie house. Is it working? Data shows that movies that are released in both formats are overwhelmingly more popular in the 3-D version.

Some examples: “Chicken Little 3-D” earned about 2.5 times as much per screen as the flat version and “My Bloody Valentine 3-D” outperformed the 2-D version 6 to 1.

Is it worth it? I think so. So far, the only movie I’ve seen in the new format is “My Bloody Valentine 3-D,” the first Real D horror film. It was completely worth it and terribly entertaining.

You will, however, have to fork over around $10.50 for the ticket and the polarized glasses per viewing. If you’re planning on going to see a movie in Real D, plan on making a little drive. The closest one I’ve found is the Cinemark IMAX Theater on Webb Chapel road.

To encourage you to head down to the theater in the coming months, I’ve included some of the upcoming films that will be available in Real D (keep in mind that most are Disney/Pixar animated films):

“Monsters vs. Aliens,” “Battle for Terra,” “Up,” “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs,” “G-Force” (with Nicholas Cage), “Final Destination: Death Trip 3-D,” “Toy Story” (re-release), and many, many more!

See you at the theater!

Brent Paxton is a junior international relations and political science quadruple major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].