Engineering & Humanity week kicks off

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Adam Karechanin, from the BC Workshop non profit design center, works on part of the Engineering Week Livable Village Thursday afternoon north of the Cox School of Business.

Adam Karechanin, from the BC Workshop non profit design center, works on part of the Engineering Week Livable Village Thursday afternoon north of the Cox School of Business. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

SMU will be having its second annual Engineering & Humanity Week from April 16 to April 20.

To prepare for this week, students have started building the Living Village on the lawn just north of the Cox School of Business.

Students will live, cook and sleep in temporary shelters.

This year the structures will focus on long-term living for displaced populations versus last year’s structures were focused on short-term living shelters.

This year there are two student only projects.

The first shelter, titled “SMU Habitat for Humanity Shelter” will be designed and built the SMU chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

“Engineering in Humanity Week’s goals directly align with Habitat for Humanity’s goals,” Gwen, a freshman Civil Engineer and Spanish major, said on the Engineering and Humanity Week website.

“We want to enable people everywhere to live healthy, productive lives, regardless of where they are born.

Home ownership enables stability, community, and safety for families and children, which in turn brings about an increase in education and economic prospects.”

The other project will be designed and built by a group of students who won a Lyle School design competition.

The group decided to title the shelter “‘Rajo’ Shelter at Tasfa.” Tasfa means hope in Ethiopian.

All the building materials are native to Ethiopia.

The seniors participating in the design project are Ford Binning, Mary Catherine Corey, Farhan Fazal and Michelle Senner.

Engineering & Humanity Week is sponsored by Hunter and Stephanie Hunt, the Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity at Southern Methodist University’s Lyle School of Engineering and co-hosted with the University of Oxford’s Refugee Studies Center.

Students, faculty and community members will continue to build the Living Village through the weekend.

The Daily Campus will have updates throughout the week on students experiences’ living the village.