D.D. Lee to enter NFL draft

Defender receives many calls
 D.D. Lee to enter NFL draft
Photo by Christina Parrish, The Daily Campus
D.D. Lee to enter NFL draft

D.D. Lee to enter NFL draft (Photo by Christina Parrish, The Daily Campus)

SMU linebacker D.D. Lee announced Monday he has declared for the 2006 NFL draft.

According to Lee’s agent, Jeff Jankovich, he has been contacted by several NFL teams; including the Super Bowl-bound Seattle Seahawks, the Carolina Panthers and the Atlanta Falcons.

Jankovich projects the 5-foot-11-inch, 240-pound Lee, who is currently training at an athletic facility in Arlington, VA, could be drafted anywhere from a fifth round pick to an undrafted free agent.

Lee started as inside linebacker for the Mustangs for three years and played his way onto the 2005 Lombardi watch list. The Lombardi award is a national award given to college football’s best interior lineman or linebacker.

After leading SMU in tackles in 2003 as a junior, Lee was sidelined for the entirety of the 2004 season with an elbow injury suffered against TCU. He was awarded a medical redshirt, and in 2005 returned to form, finishing second on the team with 79 tackles and recording two interceptions.

He does not believe the 2004 injury harmed his draft status.

“It didn’t hurt — I was able to work on my masters and keep improving,” Lee said. “And it was a blessing to go out with those seniors.”

Those seniors include defensive backs Rolando Humphrey and Jamey Harper, punter Ryan Mentzel and rover Alvin Nnabuife, all of whom will be joining Lee in working out for NFL scouts at a pro day on SMU’s campus in March, according to Lee.

Jankovich represents several prospective NFL players who train together but says that Lee’s drive has been the most impressive.

“His work ethic is fantastic,” Jankovich said. “He is setting the tone in terms of workouts.”

“I’m just focused on working out as hard as I can,” Lee said.