Texas-filmed ‘Prince Avalanche’ debuts at USA Film Festival

Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd star in the new indie  film, “Prince Avalanche,” set to hit theaters in August 2013.
Courtesy of thefilmstage.com
Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd star in the new indie film, “Prince Avalanche,” set to hit theaters in August 2013.

Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd star in the new indie film, “Prince Avalanche,” set to hit theaters in August 2013. (Courtesy of thefilmstage.com)

Last week Dallas underwent quite some chaos with the opening of the Bush Library.

Streets were blocked, camera crews were out and presidents were spotted.

Despite the craziness on campus, the USA Film Festival was also taking place over the course of the week at the Angelika Film Center.

The USA Film Festival is a Dallas-based event that the non-profit organization puts on annually to recognize and encourage excellence in the film and video arts.

This year, the 43rd annual event took place on April 24 through April 28.

“Prince Avalanche” was one of the films featured in the festival with a salute to the film’s director, David Gordon Green.

The Icelandic film, “Either Way,” provided an inspiration for “Prince Avalanche” starring Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch.

The comedy centers on Rudd and Hirsch’s characters, who are rebuilding the roads after a Texas fire in 1988.

“Prince Avalanche” was a step in the union of the two genres Green has mastered, indie drama and comedy.

You have most likely seen his previous films such as “Pineapple Express,” “Your Royal Highness,” “The Sitter” or perhaps even his limited released films like “Snow Angels” and “George Washington.”

Green hails from Texas and grew up nearby in Richardson.

After the showing of the film, the director stayed to have a Q & A session with the audience, where he explained that he was very proud to make films that showcase his inner beliefs and thoughts.

Hirsch stole the spotlight with his dufus and yet lovable character.

The film features shots of landscapes not dissimilar to Terrence Malick’s movies, and maintained a comedic element throughout.

Green works with the same crew for his movies, which has been about a nine year run now.

One unique fact about “Prince Avalanche” is that the entire film was shot in just 16 days.

The quick shooting took place outside Austin in Bastrop State Park, which suffered damage after experiencing a wildfire in Sept. 2011.

Green admitted that the filming did not take place like many feature films.

“There weren’t big trucks with loads of gear to worry about, like in a studio feature,” Green said.

“And there were never more than 10 people on set, anywhere.”

The movie is set to release in August of this year.