Overflow crowd for Student Forum

The Turner Student Forum moved from its usual location in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom to the cozy confines of McCord Auditorium in Dallas Hall for the Student Forum featuring Frank Gehry.

He offered advice to prospective students, saying, “[Y]ou are the best expert – you will not get derailed if you believe in what you are doing.”

Gehry said that in many projects he has worked on, as well as in life, one should stick to his or her guns and do what he or she thinks is right.

“I’ve lived by that and it works,” Gehry said.

The evolution of architecture was a large part of Gehry’s session. Several students asked about the growing role of computers and to what degree Gehry uses them.

“I don’t know how to turn the damn thing on,” he said, mentioning that others in his office use the computer for architecture.

However, he said he realizes the future of his profession is linked to technology.

“I do like that you can get so much detail into it, and for an architect if you can control that process then you won’t get marginalized,” Gehry said.

Gehry said it is essential for the integrity of the building to remain during the entire creative and construction process. He believes the biggest challenge is getting the artistic part of architecture in the computer process.

“I haven’t seen a completely computer-designed building with feeling yet,” Gehry said.

Gehry also addressed a question about the battle over the World Trade Center redesign. Gehry said he is currently involved in the project by designing a theater for part of the memorial, but he describes the current situation as a “real estate adventure.”

“The governor and mayor are trying to get the developer to back off, but there’s too much focus on the real estate aspects,” Gehry said.

He thinks the land should be cut into pieces, with separate areas for the office buildings and the memorial.

“But, they didn’t listen to Rudy [Giuliani] and they certainly didn’t listen to me,” Gehry said.