SMU health spotlight: McKenna Cottam

McKenna Cottam talks about staying fit, clean eats and college life
McKenna varies her workouts between strength training and cardio sessions.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

McKenna varies her workouts between strength training and cardio sessions. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

McKenna may seem like your typical SMU student, but this girl has living a healthy lifestyle down to the tee.

She is a petite blonde with an adorable, infectious personality and a positive outlook on life.

You may see her killing it at the gym or out having fun with her friends.

Whatever she is doing, she really seems to have it all together.

Want to know how she does it?

What is your daily routine like?

I usually get up pretty early because I like to take my time doing whatever I do in the morning: coffee, breakfast, Live with Kelly, you know the usual.

I usually work out in the morning so I’ll eat something light but that will give me energy and keep me full through my workout.

How many days a week do you work out?

I usually try and work out five or six days a week. Some days are a little bit more mellow than others. I try and do at least 30 minutes of moving everyday.

What does a typical day of clean eats look like for you?

Breakfast: Oatmeal with peanut butter and bananas or greek yogurt and berries.

Lunch: I’m not huge on lunch but I tend to eat a small snack like lunches. Something like a small salad with some type of protein or an open face sandwich on whole wheat bread with turkey, hummus (instead of mayo), spinach, avocado and dijon. Later in the afternoon I’ll have something similar or just a big snack

Dinner: Dinner is different every night but I try to include at least a fist size of protein and some dark greens, or some type of vegetable that’s not super oily and fried.
I love quinoa as a grain because you can add almost anything to it and it will keep you full.

What types of workouts do you do and what is your favorite?

I do a lot of long distance running so it’s important to do cross training and resistance training as well. I will do longer cardio sessions about three days out of the week and more strength training and weight lifting on the other days.

Over the past few years I’ve realized how important it is to do a little bit of everything.

A lot of girls are scared of picking up some weight or doing a few squats here and there, but that’s the only way to get the results you want.

You can’t just focus on cardio. Strength training is super important. It burns more calories throughout a 24 hour period, burns more fat and builds muscle, which burns more calories than fat.

What is your go to healthy meal/snack?

When I’m feeling like I need a healthy but satisfying meal, I usually make turkey burgers with all different types of chopped vegetables mixed into the meat. Super easy, healthy and makes great leftovers.

Snacks! Love ’em. I usually will snack on things like some almonds, popchips with hummus and chopped vegetables. And any type of fruit!

What’s your favorite cheat food? 

If it is sweet, definitely ice cream sandwiches, or actually… anything with ice cream in it.

And if it is salty, macaroni and cheese. I have this weird habit of always wanting to try it at restaurants.

How do you incorporate college life into healthy living?

I try to have a healthy balance between a healthy lifestyle and having time for school and a social life.

Working out and a healthy lifestyle is something that can be hard for a lot of people to incorporate into their life but if you love it, which I do, it doesn’t really seem like sticking to a plan or schedule. It is more about doing something I like and enjoy.
I work better and get more done when I’m on the go so I usually workout in the morning and do my school stuff later in the day.

I’m more energized and awake after I work out and it clears my head to focus on school and other things.

Though going out all the time isn’t that great for someone, I don’t let my lifestyle get in the way of having fun.

What do you do to maintain a healthy balance?

I kind of have this 80/20 rule. I tell myself if I’m good 80 percent of the week I do whatever for the other 20 percent (on the weekends).

Who is your favorite fitness or celebrity icon? 

Hmm.. I love Kelly Ripa, she has great style and rockin’ bod and funny as heck.