Forum focuses on technology

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina spoke at the Turner Construction Student Forum on the future of technology and American business and her ouster from H-P.

Fiorina said she was “tremendously privileged to have led H-P for six years” and holds no ill will toward the company. Fiorina said that there were “several members of the board” who made suggestions on certain things that she believed were management decisions – not jurisdiction of the board.

“Had I thought those ideas would have worked, I would have implemented them-but I didn’t,” Fiorina said.Ultimately, Fiorina blames her downfall on the boardroom conversations that were released to the media.

“I thought those were confidential and my trust was violated when they became public.”

She said the situation was a difficult thing to go through, but she has “no regrets.”

During her tenure at H-P, Fiorina helped the company through its merger with Compaq. She said Compaq had “competitive products and market position where H-P didn’t” and also infused her company with “new DNA, which helped H-P’s culture.”

“The biggest obstacle to change was resistance and fear-they are a reality in business and if you don’t pay attention (to those fears) then you can’t get past those things,” Fiorina said.

Fiorina explained that the difference between management and leadership is expanding boundaries. Management works within existing boundaries whereas leaders create new visions and push the boundaries.

“Growth requires risk taking and leadership-to integrate two companies you have to have some of each but something that’s better than both separately.”

Fiorina also spoke about the importance of strategic alliances. She said strategy, by its nature, takes a longer view than a quarter or two.

“We in this country have become so short termed in focus that strategy is almost a bad word sometimes,” Fiorina said. “Strategy for a business provides a sense of direction and purpose.”

Fiorina believes that the future in technology is one in which “every physical process is going to be transformed into digital, mobile, virtual and personal.”

She said that devices play a large part in transitions between different technologies, but she differs from those who believe that there will eventually be one device that does everything.

“I do believe ultimately the individual will be in charge, and that produces and interesting question — what does that mean for authority and those in power and leadership?”

Fiorina said she never planned on being a CEO. She got into the business world working as a secretary after dropping out of law school. It was there that she got the idea to go back to school to get her MBA.

“You don’t necessarily have to have a plan to succeed, just find what you love doing,” Fiorina said.

She also gave advice to students; telling them to get a good education, be comfortable and adept with technology, do not be afraid to try something unconventional, don’t choose a path too fast and set goals extremely high.

Fiorina is currently writing a book about her 25 years in the business world that is slated for a September 2006 release.