Holiday fashion and gifts

Now that Thanksgiving is over and done with, it is time to think about gifts for Christmas and also what to wear to all of those holiday events.

Of course, for your formal Christmas parties a sure outfit to go with is a simple black dress. Spend time investing in a nice black dress. One that will be able to go through all seasons yet remains elegant, classy and stylish. You probably have more than one little black dress already hanging in your closet. But, are they unique and sexy? Or just basic? Since the New Year is heading our way, it is a good idea to start it off in a flirty and fun manner. You need a dress that will make you look great and, more importantly, feel great.

But, for those of you out there who would enjoy something more creative to wear to your holiday parties, here are some great ideas. For makeup ,start with a shimmery silver color eye shadow and go light on the mascara and eyeliner. Make your lips a deep red color for added holiday effect. While velvet is one of the hottest trends for fall, don’t expect it to be here today and gone tomorrow … especially for the evening. While black velvet is versatile, why not choose a hue that will get noticed? A red velvet pump would be the perfect shoe to go along with the sassy black dress.

Since the weather has become colder, going out in a sleeveless dress is not the best option. The best solution? A shrug. This is the perfect holiday accessory to layer over a plunging neckline or a strapless dress. Sometimes a suggestion of skin is even sexier than revealing it all at once. Finding an elegant embroidered or beaded shrug is the key. The hint of sparkle adds the perfect festive touch to your party ensemble, and after the holidays you can throw it on with jeans and a tank for a really chill and casual look.

For great gifts to give during the holiday season, think about the new video iPod, digital cameras, the Coach signature ski pocket hip bag, as well as gift certificates to nail salons and day spas. If you happen to be low on money, try making a collage of special photos, a hand decorated photo album, movie theater gift certificates, books, of which there are still a few for under $10, or don’t forget my absolute favorite … home baked cookies!! With these creative gift ideas and fashionable party wear, your holiday season will be a great and stylish one.

Crystal McCollough is a sophomore CCPA major and can be reached at [email protected].