Meadows taps Rodgers and Hammerstein for ‘Tender Land’

Meadows Opera Theatre and Symphony Orchestra present a universal story that everyone can relate to and understand in “The Tender Land.”

“It’s about growing up, learning who we are, making choices that are the right ones for each of us as individuals, and following our hearts,” said Hank Hammett, opera director.

The musical theater team Rodgers and Hammerstein originally commissioned the opera. “The Tender Land” is showing at the Bob Hope Theatre in the Owens fine Arts Center from Feb. 5-8, 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.

“And because of its many accessible and familiar elements, both musically and dramatically, I know that everyone who comes will take something special away with them,” said Hammett.

Aaron Copland’s music is full of tradition, jazz, and folk tunes that evoke the simplicity of America. The score, “The Promise of Living,” ends Act I, and captures the spirit of rural America at a time when personal values and convictions were all many people had to hold on to, according to Hammett.

The opera is set during the Great Depression. Laurie Moss, the main character, is changed forever when she meets two drifters on the night of her high school graduation. The story deals with the isolation of growing up, the fear of the unknown, and assimilating with people different from us.

“The Tender Land” is in English, so the audience will be able to understand every facet of the story. The production is authentic, with a full-scale, two-story farmhouse on stage, surrounded by wheat fields.

“It looks like an Andrew Wyeth painting,” said Hammett. “There’s even a hoe-down dance in Act II.”

The audience can also expect some physical violence, from face slapping to sword combats.

Bill Lengfelder, associate professor of theater, helped the actors accomplish certain moves so that what they do is visceral and real, but without the risk of anyone getting hurt.

The opera provides a broad range of emotions to the audience, and it is an ideal first-time opera experience.

“If you don’t know anything about opera or think you don’t like it, I say, ‘Please give us a chance to change your mind,'” suggested Hammett.

Tickets can be purchased at the Meadows Ticket Office or for more information call 214-768-ARTS. (2787).