Jobs resigns, innovation remains

On March 2, 2011, Apple Inc. Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs waves to his audience at an Apple event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco. Jobs is resigning as CEO.
Photo Courtesy of The Associated Press

On March 2, 2011, Apple Inc. Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs waves to his audience at an Apple event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco. Jobs is resigning as CEO. (Photo Courtesy of The Associated Press)

Remember when the only way to listen to music on the go was to carry a bulky Walkman? And how only one CD could be played at a time?

Much has changed since Apple revolutionized the way people listen to music, communicate via mobile devices and most recently become portable with a tablet.

One man is generally accredited with these innovations that have changed the world.

And that man is Steve Jobs.

What many may not know is that Jobs’ involvement in Apple was somewhat sporadic in the early years of the company.

After only a year, the co-founder Jobs was let go from the company after his relationship with the then Chief Executive Officer, John Sculley, turned sour over diminishing sales.

It wasn’t until eleven years later that Jobs returned to Apple when it acquired the company he started after he was let go, NeXT Computer. Shortly after his return, he was appointed the CEO and has served as such ever since.

On Thursday, Jobs announced his resignation as the Chief Executive Officer of Apple. Within his 15-year tenure, he has engineered and grown one of the most successful businesses in the world. His resignation has generated much speculation as to where the company is headed without Jobs acting as its mastermind.

“I don’t think he’s been involved in day to day operations for awhile as he has been sick and they didn’t skip a beat,” Gabe Pinchev, SMU senior Finance major, said. “Jobs has built the company well enough to continue running without

him.”

Jobs’ development of Apple’s brand has been remarkable. Even previous CEO, John Sculley has described Jobs as, “the world’s magic man.”

The future and direction of Apple is now at the discretion of the newly appointed CEO, Tim Cook. As the Company continues to release new products, Jobs will undoubtedly continue to have a hand in the process as he remains on its Board of Directors.