Zwick creates intriguing film

Perhaps the best of portrayal of the ‘90s in a film besides “Space Jam,” Edward Zwick’s “Love and Other Drugs,” showcases the vastly changing market of pharmaceutical drugs.

The film begins with its focus on Jamie Randall (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his dreary life as an electronics salesman.

With his charming wit and captivating smile, Randall is seemingly able to sell any product to almost anyone.

However, when Randall is caught sleeping with his boss’ girlfriend, he is left looking for another job.

This search leads Randall to Pfizer, a well known pharmaceutical drug distributor that is looking for people like Randall to sell their drugs to doctors.

In a recruiting process that seems more like a never-ending party, Randall lands a job as Central Ohio’s distributor of Prozac, an anti-depressant, a title that is depressing within itself.

It is on the job that Randall finally meets Anne Hathaway’s Maggie Murdock. Posing as an intern shadowing a doctor, Randall is directed into her check-up.

However, Murdock soon find out that Randall is not the doctor he says he is.

It is from this chaos and a snap of a Polaroid by Murdock that these two characters’ sensual affair begins.

Murdock’s and Randall’s relationship begins in a purely physical sense.

Nude almost half of the film, the two’s romance is strictly sexual, just how they wanted it to be. However, just when Randall’s career as a drug rep is taking off (thanks to the addition of Viagra), emotions for each other get in the way of the master plan.

In a film titled “Love and Other Drugs,” one would expect there to be a story line filled with wild sex stories and misuse of pharmaceutical drugs, but this assumption is wrong.  

What is really unique about “Love and Other Drugs,” is the film’s ability to be genre-less.

Marketed as a romantic comedy, the films comes off much more dramatic.

Yes, “Love and Other Drugs” contains many funny scenes, thanks to the contributions from the film’s breakout star Josh Gad, who plays Randall’s slob of a brother but it also contains a fair amount of drama as well.

What is so great about this film is that no matter the genre, the film as a whole is entertaining and enthralling to watch.

Zwick’s direction in “Love and Other Drugs,” is beautifully simple. With mostly wide-angle shots and little complication of camera work, Zwick allows the story to flow almost freely and focuses on towards the actors’ performances, not the use of special effects or slick editing.

This simplicity allows for relief when the story line becomes more complicated.

“Love and Other Drugs” is a film that tackles many subjects both fearlessly and intelligently.

The trio of Hathaway, Gylennhaal and Zwick combine for a movie that not only defines what true love is but also is a moving history lesson about America’s pharmaceutical industry.