Lacrosse begins with national hopes

Lacrosse begins with national hopes
File photo by Nate Regan
Lacrosse begins with national hopes

Lacrosse begins with national hopes (File photo by Nate Regan)

The SMU Lacrosse Club begins its spring season Saturday at home against Texas Tech on the Intramural Field at 1 p.m.

The Mustangs play in the 12-team Lone Star Alliance conference, along with Texas Tech, Texas A&M and the University of Texas, all three of which are ranked in the top 30 in the national preseason poll.

At the end of conference play this spring, the top four LSA teams will compete in the playoffs. The winner of the conference tournament is invited to the national tournament in Dallas.

“We have the potential to go to Nationals in May,” co-captain Chip Hiemenz said. “We control our own destiny, and as long as we work hard, show commitment and do the little things to win ball games, I think we can make the tournament.”

Captains Hiemenz, Tom Greene, Ryan Walsh and Kimble Ratliff lead the team, and Hiemenz and Green have been working to improve the organizational structure of the club.

This year, new coach Sandy Boyce will be on the sidelines to help with play calling and substitutions. Boyce played lacrosse at Ohio State University, where he led the Buckeyes with 30 goals during the 2001 season. Don Newbury and Bill Rowe assist Boyce on the sideline.

“This is the most talent and depth that I’ve seen since I’ve been here,” Hiemenz said.

The 50-man roster includes four High School All-Americans. Walsh, a junior and two-time High School All-American, transferred to SMU from University of Denver this year and will play defense next to high school teammate Hiemenz and sophomore Pete Anastasi.

Greene, junior Chris Best and sophomore Michael Carrington lead the attack line. Carrington was a High School All-American and holds the Texas state record for most goals in a high school game. Junior Ratliff and freshmen All-Americans Jono Hiemenz and Sam Sawyer lead the midfield line.

Starting in goal for the Mustangs will be freshman Michael Tessier, who was an All-State goalie last year in Missouri.

SMU will travel to Texas A&M and the University of Texas on consecutive weekends beginning Feb. 4. A three-day, three game road trip to Missouri is scheduled for mid-February to play Missouri State, Washington University and Lindenwood.