Radnofsky formally kicks-off senatorial bid today

When Barbara Ann Radnofsky holds her formal campaign announcement today at SMU, she faces a tall order in unseating Texas’ senior senator, Kay Bailey Hutchison.

That does not seem to faze Radnofsky.

“She has never had a fight before – and I think Texans are ready for a fresh, balanced, articulate senator,” Radnofsky said.Radnofsky is a political newcomer with no previous elected positions.

According to her campaign Web site, the only political activities Radnofsky has participated in include the finance committee of Congressman Nick Lampson and a precinct chair in Harris County.

She has worked for more than 25 years as a lawyer for a Houston law firm. She graduated from the University of Houston magna cum laude in 1976 and received a J.D. degree with honors from the University of Texas Law School in 1979.

While practicing law, Radnofsky became a trained mediator – a skill she believes will aid her in the U.S. Senate.

“My experience matches anyone who has joined as new member of the Senate,” Radnofsky said.

If elected, Radnofsky wants to restore cuts in funding to higher education.

“Hutchison violated a campaign promise when she allowed pell grants to be cut, and it’s a shame,” Radnofsky said, adding “[T]here’s no big disagreement as far as I’ve seen in restoring the money.”

Radnofsky also wants a “national energy policy that combines existing sources with renewable forms.” She says there is too much reliance on foreign sources.

Radnofsky would create a timetable that would lead to the gradual removal of U.S. troops from Iraq.

“It needs to be created by military minds, and we need to accept their advice this time – not ignore it,” Radnofsky said.When asked if a Democrat could win in Texas, Radnofsky said one “can and will win.”

“Look at Senator Hutchison’s drop in the polls – all she has done is rubber stamp administration policy,” she said.

Radnofsky mentioned Hutchison’s 1994 promise to only serve two full terms and said, “Hutchison wants to serve with seniority, yet she’s been traveling around the nation looking to be a vice presidential nominee.

“She needs to debate me – it’s time for a moderate and not a radical for Texans,” Radnofksy said.

Radnofsky will talk at noon today in the Hughes-Trigg Theater.

“I’m pleased to choose Dallas and SMU as the place for my formal announcement,” Radnofsky said.

It will be her 275th statewide trip since she began exploring a senatorial bid.