Women’s soccer falls to Aggies

For the fourth time in five years, No. 9 Texas A&M knocked the SMU women’s soccer team out of the NCAA tournament as the Mustangs lost 4—2 to the Aggies Sunday in College Station, Texas.

The Mustangs advanced from the first round with a 3—0 victory over the University of North Texas Friday afternoon with sophomore forward Kimber Bailey scoring all three goals. Junior Olivia O’Rear and sophomore Allison Brill scored Sunday in the losing effort.

With the two games, the Mustangs’ final record for the season stands at 15—5—2.

Against North Texas, Bailey opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Krystal Bailey found her sister for a high shot just inside the 18—yard box. Kimber Bailey picked up her second goal in the 68th minute on a penalty kick, and rounded out the scoring three minutes later when she deflecting home a rebound.

The win avenged a 3—1 loss early in the season to the Mean Green, who outplayed a flat SMU team at Westcott Field. North Texas finishes the 2005 season with a record of 16—4—2.

In Sunday’s game, there was another hat trick, but this time it was scored by the Aggies’ Ashley Pistorius. She opened the scoring with a header in the 10th minute.

O’Rear tied the game off a centering pass from Kimber Bailey in the 24th minute, but Pistorius put Texas A&M up again 10 minutes later when she deflected a free kick past SMU freshman goalkeeper Ashley Gunter.

Pistorius scored the game-winning goal in the 65th minute when she connected on a 20—yard free kick to put the Aggies up by two. Laura Probst scored the insurance goal in the 87th minute, which helped A&M breathe easy even after Brill scored with about a minute left in the game to make the score 4—2.

Texas A&M was the fourth-seeded team in the bracket and will face top—seeded Penn State (21—0—1) next weekend in the third round of the NCAA tournament.