Guster rocks for recycling

Guster performs Thursday evening on the Clements lawn as part of Program Councils Code Red concert.
Michael Danser
Guster performs Thursday evening on the Clements lawn as part of Program Council’s Code Red concert.

Guster performs Thursday evening on the Clements lawn as part of Program Council’s Code Red concert. (Michael Danser)

Program Council hosted a Code Red Concert featuring Guster on Thursday night in Clements Lawn.

This concert is part of Guster’s Campus Consciousness tour to help raise awareness about recycling.

Guster members, Adam Gardner, Ryan Miller and Brian Rosenworcel, met in 1991 at Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts. The American alternative rock band has five studio albums and has one album to be released later this year.

Small groups of students gathered on blankets on the lawn as the opening act, Wild Sweet Orange, arrived on stage. Wild Sweet Orange is a band from Birmingham, Alabama and last night was their last performance with Guster.

Slowly as the music played, the crowd grew as people on the Boulevard joined. The gathered group was not enormous, but the attendees are dedicated to Guster’s music.

Gracyn Mix, an SMU first year, was more than eager to share her excitement. “I screamed when I heard they were coming,” she said. “Unlike other bands, they have really good lyrics, drums, and harmony. You can listen to their music in any mood.”

The noise of the crowd had lowered to a general murmur as they waited for Guster, but rose immediately when the lights went up and the band stepped on stage. They started the set with “D Major” and a variety of instruments. There was a cowbell used in one song and a bongo solo in several by their drummer, “Thunder God.”

Guster had a very interactive performance with the crowd, since the lawn was filled with loyal fans as well as newcomers. The band members shared fun facts and communicated with the audience naturally.

The crowd joined in with each song, singing with their favorite and screaming for each member. Charlotte Andersson, SMU first year percussion student, found their use of drums “innovative. I’ve never seen anything like it before,” she said.

The original goal of the concert was to set up a close relationship between the crowd and the band, to let SMU students “get to know” Guster. The performance was filled with flashing lights and loud, exciting music to catch people’s attention.