SMU takes Swine Flu precautions

A confirmed Swine Flu case in a Richardson elementary school forced the school closure Monday, but SMU Memorial Health Center officials are not yet concerned and say they are prepared to “handle whatever comes through their doors.”

According to the Dallas Department of Health and Human Services, one child at the elementary school, just 12 miles from campus, was confirmed with having Swine Flu, and two other students are suspected to have the virus.

Megan Knapp, health center educator, said it is extremely hard to predict the spread of the virus at this point, but the Health Center is being extremely watchful for signs of the virus, she said.

Health center administrator Patrick Hite said the center’s main goal at this point is to be “extremely proactive.” He said in the event of a confirmed case the center has brought in facemask filters for the student to wear to stop further spread of the virus.

Hite said the main concern about the virus is the fact that there is no current vaccine to prevent it, not the deadliness of the virus.

Hite said the health center is working closely with the Centers for Disease Control, and the Dallas Department of Health and Human Services to closely monitor the spread of the virus on daily basis.

The Associated Press reports there are 40 confirmed Swine Flu cases in the United States, including two in Texas and 73 confirmed cases worldwide. In Mexico, the epicenter of the disease outbreak, it is suspected that 2000 individuals are infected and there have been an unconfirmed 149 deaths.

Knapp said the disease presents with normal flu like symptoms including onset fever, chills, fatigue, soreness, coughing, and vomiting.

Knapp said simple ways of being proactive are to wash your hands after touching common public surfaces, cough or sneeze into your sleeve, and maintain safe distances from students who appear sick.

Knapp said flu shots administered in fall and winter 2008 will be ineffective against the virus. She said if a student does present flu like symptoms that it is important to seek medical attention and receive anti-viral medication within the first 48 hours.