Will Power shares his story

Will+Power+gives+advice+to+a+group+of+theater+students+after+his+speech+at+SMU%E2%80%99s+Greer+Garson+theater.+
KIM RITZENTHALER • photographer
Will Power gives advice to a group of theater students after his speech at SMU’s Greer Garson theater.

Will Power gives advice to a group of theater students after his speech at SMU’s Greer Garson theater. (KIM RITZENTHALER • photographer)

Will Power didn’t need an introduction Monday night in Greer Garson Theatre.

Power came out rapping about his past and what inspired his work When his song came to a close, Meadows School of the Arts dean Jose Bowen sat down with the playwright and performer.

Power said he became interested in performing arts while growing up. Most kids in his neighborhood breakdanced, but he found his place in hip-hop music.

“I just started to rhyme. It was a natural part of hip-hop to gravitate to,” Power said. “Since then, I mixed theater and hip-hop.”

His early passion for the arts led him to perform in one-man shows while traveling across the country.

His success has earned him fame in the performing arts field, and this past year, he was a recipient of the Meadows Prize arts residency.

For a few weeks, he spent time with SMU theater majors and imparted the knowledge he acquired from his experiences to them. He emphasized the importance of being well versed in many fields of performing art.

“I encourage people to be self-reliant and self-sufficient,” Power said. “If you can do something on your own, you can do anything.”

While he is proud of his accomplishments and continues to aim high, he makes an effort to reach out to people in need.

“He has this really nice balance of his work and his personal time giving back which I think is really admirable,” sophomore Kelsey Smith said.

Power also said that everyone should hold respect for community artists.

In his experience, some actors that are more successful scoff at community actors, which he says isn’t right.

“We all think of community artists as someone not as good,” Power said. “Why can’t a community artist be someone who is really good?”

This point hit home with Kristen Kelso, a sophomore theater major.

“I thought it was really accurate what he said about looking down on community artists because that’s what I want to go into,” Kelso said. “I appreciated his humility and how he is helping others with their journey.”

Leila Grothe, who organized the event, hoped that everyone walked away with something they found pertinent to their own lives.

“What he was saying could apply to whatever your field is,” Grothe said.

Power ended by showing off the skills he taught his SMU students by pulling them up on stage.

“Having to improvise, freestyle on stage in front of an audience, for me, puts me in the moment,” Power said. “I trust the moment.”