New options entice SMU students abroad

SMU students pose while abroad in Mexico.

Beginning this fall, study abroad opportunities at SMU will expand thanks to several key partnerships.Six agencies are collaborating with the university to provide students with opportunities at more than 100 new programs, bringing the total number of options to more than 130. Students may begin applying this fall and may potentially be enrolled in programs this spring. Highlights include exploration of wildlife in Kenya and environmental studies in Costa Rica. The new programs were approved by the Education Abroad Council, which reports to SMU’s provost and vice-President for academic affairs, Paul Ludden. In 2006-2007, an International Education Task Force examined SMU’s opportunities abroad. Recommendations issued to administrators are still being implemented now; this massive expansion of programs is evidence of significant progress.Task force chair and associate professor of history John Mears said, “education abroad isn’t just about Western Europe anymore.””Every region in our interconnected and interdependent world is significant, as is every field of study, from engineering and science to business and the arts,” Mears said.Susan Kress, SMU study abroad director, said prior to this massive expansion of offerings, SMU students have traditionally preferred programs in the British Isles and in Spain. As well, students have had the option of traveling to China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Poland, Russia and South Africa. More than 500 students study abroad each year.According to the revamped SMU abroad Web site launched last week, students wishing to study overseas must have completed their first academic year and have a minimum 2.5 GPA, although some programs require a higher GPA. Students must also obtain any necessary travel documents, including airfare and potentially a visa from the country where they will be studying.Kress believes “studying, serving or working abroad often results in a keen knowledge of the host country, the ability to speak another language and the skill of crossing cultures with relative ease,” which proves to be a major benefit to students after graduation. In the wake of the pandemic announcement in June, SMU administrators have acknowledged the lingering concern among students and their families about the potential for contracting H1N1 influenza, also known as the “swine flu.” According to the Centers for Disease Control, 556 deaths directly related to H1N1 have been reported in the U.S. alone.This summer, the SMU-in-Xalapa program threatened to shut down temporarily because of concerns over H1N1 in Mexico. However, Kress says that careful consideration with SMU faculty, as well as close attention paid to recommendations from the CDC and the World Health Organization led program directors to carry on as normal.Kress says that her office is taking precautions, but is not gravely concerned. “Students in the United States are some of the best immunized in the world. Students are generally among the healthiest people in society,” Kress said. SMU Health Educator Megan Knapp encourages students who are traveling abroad to practice good hygiene, including carrying liquid hand sanitizer with them and covering their mouths when they cough. Knapp also advises students to avoid crowds and people known to be ill, and if symptoms develop, to seek medical attention.Kress says the mandatory health insurance SMU sells to all students, faculty and staff traveling internationally provides “excellent care no matter where you are in the world.” Policies are run through HTH Worldwide Health Insurance and provide $250,000 worth of coverage with no deductible.Kress also assures students and their parents that site directors are on-hand at each of SMU’s programs abroad, including those facilitated by outside groups, who can handle emergencies when called upon. “Will students contract the flu abroad? Yes. Will they contract it here? Yes,” Kress said, “but we are certain they will be taken care of.”Students interested in learning more about study abroad opportunities may attend information sessions Monday through Friday each week at 4 p.m. in the SMU Study Abroad office located on the second floor of the Laura Lee Blanton Student Services building. In addition, an information fair titled “Making the World Your Classroom” will be held on Sept. 15 on the Boulevard from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

SMU students pose while abroad in Italy.