Four universities, four plans for Bush library

It was announced late Wednesday night that SMU is among four finalists in the competition for the George W. Bush Presidential Library. SMU is facing competition from Texas Tech University, Baylor University and the University of Dallas — which is located in Irving. All of the schools will make presentations to the Library Selection Committee in Washington, D.C. mid-November.

Texas Tech told media outlets that the committee will make its recommendation in early 2006 and there will be a decision on the location by June 2006.

While SMU has kept its bid under wraps, details of the other schools’ bids have been leaked since the bids were submitted. By far, the most information is available on Tech’s bid.

Texas Tech’s plan includes supporters from Midland and other West Texas cities, which have formed the West Texas Coalition for the George W. Bush Presidential Library.

Their proposal has the library on a 100-acre site on the west side of the Tech campus. The coalition has already raised $100 million of the $500 million needed for the project.

The Tech proposal has the library as a think-tank, in addition to housing the archives of the Bush presidency.

The George W. Bush Institute for Global Freedom and Democracy would focus on creating policies and foreign policy briefings among other activities.

Baylor University also has set aside 100 acres along the Brazos River and Interstate 35, a location north of its central campus. Other than that, Baylor officials have been tight-lipped about any specifics or academic tie-ins the library would have.

The University of Dallas has access to 300 acres of land along the Loop 12 and Texas Highway 114 intersection, next to Texas Stadium.

Dallas County Commissioners have pledged to funnel money towards infrastructure improvements at whichever site is selected..

SMU officials have been the most guarded of all library bidders. The university has not confirmed an exact location. The two locations most likely include the far-east side of campus, where the SMU apartments and University Gardens currently stand. The other site mentioned is the old Mrs. Baird’s factory, located on Mockingbird across from campus..

SMU is currently in a legal battle with the remaining condo owners in University Gardens. A court date has not been set in the case.