Women’s soccer defeats UTEP, Tulane

After its first conference loss in a year, the SMU women’s soccer team went undefeated on a weekend road trip to boost its record to 10-4-1 (4-1 in C-USA play)

On Friday night, the Mustangs defeated the UTEP Miners 2-1 in El Paso, Texas, before traveling to College Station, Texas, where they beat the displaced Tulane Green Wave 2-0 Sunday afternoon.

UTEP’s loss was their first of the season and it was the first home loss for the Miners in 17 straight games. The Miners are now 15-1-1 (4-1-1 in C-USA play). The Miners are currently leading C-USA, with SMU and the University of Central Florida tied for second place, just one point behind UTEP.

The Miners are always a tough contest for SMU, and Friday’s game was no different.

The two teams played in a scoreless tie through the first half, and the Mustangs didn’t get on the board until the 74th minute, when freshman Gillian Field notched her first goal of the season, scoring on a rebound.

Junior Olivia O’Rear assisted on the play.

Sophomore Kimber Bailey added her team-leading 13th goal of the season in the 78th minute when Krystal Bailey sprung her sister on a long run. The goal was the eventual game-winner, as Miner midfielder Cara Mordin scored on a 35-yard direct kick just two minutes later.

Sunday’s game marked the team’s second shutout of the season. Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Gunter made three saves to blank the Green Wave, who fell to 1-8-0 (1-5-0 in C-USA play).

Kimber Bailey had two assists in the game, the first coming in the 18th minute, when she had a nice give-and-go with freshman forward Kirsten Moran in front of the net. Moran beat Green Wave goalkeeper Kathryn Alario for a 1-0 lead.

Just over three minutes later, O’Rear scored her first goal of the season on a breakaway goal to put the Mustangs up 2-0. Bailey and sophomore Jena Lind had assists on the play.

Gunter was named co-Defensive Player of the Week by C-USA Monday for her work this weekend. It is the first time she’s received a conference honor this season.

The Mustangs are one the road next weekend at Marshall and East Carolina before returning to Westcott Field Oct. 28 to take on UAB and Memphis in their last regular season games.