First-year Senators elected

Joining the 98th SMU Student Senate are five first-year senators from the class of 2015.

The senators for the class of 2015 are Monica Finnegan, Tanner Flyckt, Devin Kerns, J.D. Mahaffey and William O’Connor.

The first-year senator elections began at midnight on Wednesday and ran until 5 p.m. on Thursday

Around 40 students signed up to run for the five seats, although a few dropped out before the polls opened.

Senate Membership Chair Katherine Ladner organized and oversaw the elections.

“As freshmen, they will be held to the same standards as the other senators,” Ladner said. “I know all five of them will be fantastic!”

Finnegan is “so excited” to be a senator and to work to represent her class.

As a senator, Finnegan “want[s] to devote [herself] to making this school a better place for everyone” and “to accurately represent the centennial class of 2015.”

“I love the idea that senators get to help create legislation that is implemented on campus,” Finnegan explained. “I hope to give back in some small way to the university through this position.”

Kerns has been involved in government and committee work since high school, participated in Oklahoma’s Girls State and was a page for an Oklahoma senator.

For Kerns, participating in the Student Senate is “a natural transition.”

Like Kerns, Flyckt was involved in student government in high school.

Flyckt thought that joining SMU Senate would be “a great way to get involved with my class.”

Flyckt wants to improve the school, write legislation that represents the desires of his class and become involved in the SMU community.

“I would also like to thank my class for choosing me to serve them in this position,” Flyckt said.

As a fourth generation Mustang, Mahaffey wants to “better the Hilltop by representing each Mustang and their individual values.”

“But really, I just wanted to beat Peruna in a race,” Mahaffey said.

Mahaffey looks forward to “speaking with each first-year student,” and he recognizes his duties in “bringing their issues to the floor.”

The first-year senators’ duties include participation in Senate meetings, communicating their fellow first-years’ concerns, writing legislation and serving on a Senate committee.

Kerns looks forward to representing her class and feels optimistic about the centennial class’s future.

“Each class here at SMU is different, and the class of 2015 is going to leave a great legacy, and I hope to help facilitate that legacy,” Kerns said.