INTERACTIVE: June Jones tops list of highest paid at SMU

Football coach June Jones tops the list of SMU faculty salaries receiving a total of $1,727,082 for the 2010 fiscal year.

This total represents a salary of $1,645,274, bonus and incentive compensation of $32,500, “other compensation” of $13,792 and deferred compensation of $24,500.

This information is obtained from SMU’s 990 tax form, a form on public record because the university is a non-profit organization. Among other items, the form lists the salaries of SMU’s administration, faculty and highest paid employees.

According to Associate Athletic Director Brad Sutton, Jones’ large salary is made possible through the Circle of Champions. This organization is made up of over 20 donors who have committed $100,000 a year to June Jones for five years.

Basketball coach Matt Doherty also falls on the list of SMU’s highest paid. In 2010, Doherty netted $616,686.

That breaks down to $549,626 for his salary, $20,000 in bonus and incentive pay, $5,540 in “other compensation” and $24,500 in deferred compensation.

“The price for high quality coaches and high quality professors are driven by two completely different markets,” Associate Provost Linda Eads said. “I’m not saying I agree with that, but the market is how all university salaries are determined.”

SMU President R. Gerald Turner who topped the list last year, moved to the second place spot, making $948,998 in 2010. That breaks down to $554,193 in base compensation, $41,593 in other compensation and $233,181 in other compensation.

Amit Basu, the Carr Collins chair in Management Information Systems, was the highest paid professor in 2010. He made a total of $365,867.

Interestingly, former Dedman dean Cordelia Candelaria still makes the list of highest-paid employees. Candelaria stepped down in late 2009 and Dean William Tsutsui has since taken her place. Tsutsui’s salary is not available on the 2010 990 form.

“Salaries must be reported in the year they are paid,” Eads said. “She [Candelaria] must have had money still owed to her by a contract that was paid out in 2010.”