Dedman center is sweet

New machines and smoothies, $25 million … any questions?

It’s been one week since the newly renovated Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports opened its doors to the SMU community. Ed Board couldn’t be more thrilled. We had started to pack on a few pounds from late night pizza in the newsroom, so we’re glad that fitness now has a permanent home.

Our favorite part of the facility is the rock-climbing center. The rock wall, as well as the bouldering wall, offers routes with varying difficulty levels, and it’s a great way to work out.

The new snack and drink shop, SMUothies, has a great selection for pre- and post-workout snacks and beverages and a cute name, to boot.

The cardio and weight room is amazing. We especially love the row of workout machines that have their own individual plasma TVs.

We applaud the Department of Recreational Sports for the effort they put into thinking of every little detail for the Dedman Center. From the specially designed upholstery on the chairs in the foyer to the bathing suit dryer in the locker room, we can’t ask for anything more. The amenities that the Dedman Center offers make working out easier than ever before. The only way working out at Dedman would be easier is if they had people who could work out for you.

If you haven’t been to the new Dedman Center, stop by this weekend. There isn’t a home football game, so there’s no tailgating to keep you distracted. It probably wouldn’t hurt to go try to work off a few of those “freshmen 15” pounds some first-years undoubtedly have started to gain. The place cost $25 million, so you’d better get your money’s worth before you graduate.

Cheers to Rec Sports for the job well done. With everything we have seen so far in the new Dedman Center, we can hardly wait to see what Rec Sports has in store for us when Phase II opens at the end of the school year.