Houston Cougars devour Mustangs, 45-20

MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
Houston defensive back Loyce Means, left, and linebacker Phillip Steward tackle SMU receiver Cole Beasley during play Saturday afternoon at Ford Stadium.

Houston defensive back Loyce Means, left, and linebacker Phillip Steward tackle SMU receiver Cole Beasley during play Saturday afternoon at Ford Stadium. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

After almost a two and a half hour weather delay, the Houston Cougars rained on SMU’s Homecoming parade with a 45-20 upset over the Mustangs on Saturday afternoon at Gerald J. Ford Stadium. SMU dropped to 4-4 overall and 3-1 in Conference USA play.

“We just didn’t play good enough to win,” SMU head Coach June Jones said. “We just made too many mistakes and dumb penalties, we got outcoached and outplayed.”

Houston running back Bryce Beall opened up the scoring with a 1 yard touchdown run on the Cougars’ first drive of the game.

Lightning immediately ensued and lit up the sky causing the game to delay from 2:55 p.m. to 5:23 p.m. The delay occurred with 6:42 minutes left in the first quarter.

Once play resumed, the Mustangs came out electrified and tied the game on a 31-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Kyle Padron to wide receiver Aldrick Robinson.

“The delay didn’t affect us,” Padron said. “We came out on fire.”

Houston quarterback, David Piland responded with a 30-yard touchdown early in the second quarter to put the Cougars up 14-7. Piland, Padron’s former high school teammate, looked solid in the pocket in only his third start of the year.

The Houston defense stepped up and made a big play on the Mustangs’ next offensive possession. Cougars’ linebacker Sammy Brown sacked Padron and forced a fumble which was recovered in SMU territory by fellow linebacker Matt Nicholson.

Houston capitalized on the turnover with a 23-yard field goal by Matt Hogan.

SMU kicker Matt Szymanski notched a field goal off his own from 31 yards out to make the score 17-10.

The Cougars put on a 9-play, 75-yard drive to close out the first half that was capped off with a 2-yard touchdown plunge by running back Michael Hayes. The score gave Houston a 24-10 lead heading into halftime.

The Mustangs stampeded out of the gates in the second half and cut the deficit to seven after Padron connected with wide receiver Cole Beasley on a 29-yard touchdown strike.

Tyron Carrier returned the ensuing kickoff 91 yards for a Houston touchdown to crush the Mustangs’ momentum and reestablish a 14-point lead.

Szymanski added his second field goal of the game from 42 yards out early in the fourth quarter to make the score 31-20.

Beall responded by scoring his second touchdown of the game to extend the Cougar lead to a commanding 18 points.

Late in the fourth quarter, Houston linebacker Marcus McGraw intercepted Padron’s throw and Hayes added his second touchdown of the game from 5 yards out to kill any hope of a Mustang comeback.

SMU outgained Houston 445 yards to 397 but also turned the ball over three times.

“We’re 4-4, and we are going to have to steal a couple of games on the road to win this conference,” Jones said.

The Mustangs will travel to New Orleans to face Tulane on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

SMU running back Darryl Fields runs back a kickoff from the Houston kicker Saturday afternoon at Gerald J. Ford Stadium. SMU lost the game 45-20. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)