Kitchen Dog Theater’s ‘Collapse’ production pleases audiences

When things start to collapse in our lives, we jump to action; try to keep things together, try to get some sense of control.

Taking action seems like the logical solution, but when chaos has taken over, how much control are we left with?

This is the premise of Kitchen Dog Theater’s most recent production.

“Collapse” is a new 80-minute drama by Kitchen Dog Theater member Allison Moore.

“Collapse” deals with the desperate human compulsion to seize control of a situation when something goes awry.

Hannah, played by Leah Spillman, undergoes a chaotic shift in her life: her husband, David, played by Michael Federico, is too sick to go to work.

On top of that, her job is in jeopardy and her bizarre sister, Susan, played by JaQuai Wade, has now taken up residence in the middle of her living room.

As the protagonist frantically gropes for some element of control as her life collapses around her, it becomes apparent to the viewer just how little control we have in our own lives.

The basic premise of an individual grasping for control of his or her life is one we are all familiar with.

However, it may not necessarily be apparent that the play deals with the struggle for control until late into the production.

While characters discuss their various problems from the very beginning of the play, the focus is not on control until Hannah’s main problem — her fear of the collapse of her marriage — is revealed.

The actors’ performances work very well for Kitchen Dog Theater’s most recent dramatic production.

Wade does a nice job portraying the character Susan.

Her quirky style and refusal to sit still will eat at your patience just as much as it does Hannah’s.

Federico and Spillman, as David and Hannah, have little chemistry onstage, but that works perfectly for a story about a marriage on the rocks.

The production also benefits from the fact that characters deliver lines realistically.

Bill Lengfelder portrays the recovering sex addict, Ted, and brings comic relief to “Collapse.”

Lengfelder brings a unique energy to the play.

Laughs abound in the audience when Ted has something to say.

“Collapse” may not be perfect, but it’s an eye-opening reminder of just how human we are and how much control we really have in our lives.

The play “Collapse” runs at Kitchen Dog Theater on McKinney Avenue now through March 3.

Tickets may be purchased at the box office or by calling Kitchen Dog Theater.