Men’s basketball defeats McMurry in home opener

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Freshman guard Jalen Jones successfully completes a layup, adding two points to the Mustangs’ final score of 78-49 against McMurry Friday evening in Moody Coliseum.

Freshman guard Jalen Jones successfully completes a layup, adding two points to the Mustangs’ final score of 78-49 against McMurry Friday evening in Moody Coliseum. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The SMU men’s basketball team recorded their first victory of the season as they defeated the McMurry War Hawks 78-49 in the Mustangs’ season opener Friday night.

The Mustangs dominated the War Hawks throughout both halves and did not have trouble shooting against them. SMU got a quick and early lead in the match in the first 1o minutes of the first half with a score of 21-5. The Mustangs had an advantage in the 3-point attempts, as they were able to hit 52.9 percent in the first half.

Senior guard Rodney Clinkscales hit the most three-pointers, three out of five. Freshman guard Ryan Manuel had 100 percent in three-point attempts, recording one out of one.

The Mustangs led the War Hawks during overtime, 43-27, as they headed back to the locker rooms.

“We were confident. It’s part of our offense. It’s part of what we try to recruit. It’s part of who we are,” Head Coach Matt Doherty said, as he explained the Mustangs’ significantly high 3-point field goal percentage in the first half.

SMU came back for the second half and maintained control of the last half of the match. They out shot McMurry 35-22 and did not allow the War Hawks to ever tie the game for a comeback.

“With so many new faces I wasn’t sure what I would see. I saw great defense and I saw great energy,” Doherty said.

SMU had the fans cheering the whole time as the Mustangs kept improving their stats. They hit 13of 31 from the 3-point range, 41.9 percent. Eight Mustangs recorded at least one 3-pointer and all 12 were able to get some game time. The Mustangs had a field goal percentage of 43.9 for the match, as they held McMurry to only 29.6 percent.

“I thought the crowd was very good. We had a very good crowd for a first game against a team that doesn’t have the name recognition like some of our other opponents,” Doherty said.

The only dominant statistic coming from the War Hawks was in total rebounds. McMurry recorded a total of 46 rebounds, while the Mustangs only had 35.

“I was disappointed to give up 20 offensive rebounds. But when teams that shoot 29 percent and miss 20 two and 3-pointers, sometimes is tough to scramble and get them,” Doherty said.

Senior forward Robert Nyakundi led the team to victory, 78-49, as he recorded 18 points and eight rebounds. Red shirt junior guard London Giles got 12 points and freshman guard got 11 in their SMU debuts.

The Mustangs head on the road to face Colorado State in the West Regional of the Dick’s Sports Goods NIT Season Tip-Off on Monday night at Stanford.