New stadium lights shine bright for players

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
New stadium lights were put in to help the players on the field.

New stadium lights were put in to help the players on the field. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Lights, camera, action…scratch that, lets make it — lights, camera, kickoff!

Last week construction crew surrounded the football stadium installing new stadium lights.

From the fans point of view there is nothing wrong with the lights, but from the players point of view, it is very bright, literally.

Many would ask why this was so important or if it even mattered. When receivers run down the field to catch a high ball on a 40 yard pass finding the ball in the shadows can be somewhat of a Where’s Waldo game due to the glare and shadows of the lights.

And in the game of football there is no room for mistake.

Coaches began to hear comments from receivers about the difficulty of catching the ball somewhere between the 20 and the 40-yard lines.

After light tests and thorough investigation into the matter it was proven that the shadow and angle of the lights were off making it extremely difficult to follow the ball.

This is where Musco Lighting comes in. A lighting company specializing in lighting sports stadiums around the globe.

Assistant Athletic Director Brad Sutton elaborated on the actions being taken.

The plan is to reduce the number of light fixtures at and around the stadium from 400 to 220.

This includes making them more energy-efficient using green technology to reduce energy consumption.

Efforts have also been made re-aiming the light, focusing it on the field to reduce the halo effect that currently exists.

The new lights that have been installed are temporary for right now. Further action for a more permanent fix will take place after the season.