Sales, marketing improve as sports program gains more attention

SMU’s new marketing campaign, “SMU is Dallas’ Team,” can be seen all over the Metroplex.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

SMU’s new marketing campaign, “SMU is Dallas’ Team,” can be seen all over the Metroplex. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

With an upcoming move to the Big East, wins on the rise and advertisement in the Dallas area, the Mustangs’ football season ticket sales have reached an all-time high since 1985.

“We certainly have momentum and there’s a buzz about SMU football, having made three straight bowl games,” Brad Sutton, associate athletic director, said.

“Since June Jones arrived on the Hilltop, we have more than doubled our season ticket sales.”

Big name players like Margus Hunt, SMU senior defensive end, add to the sales as he is predicted to go No.1 in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

“Well the attendance has increased since I first got here, especially in the student section, which is a good thing because we need a strong student attendance,” Hunt said.

The Mustangs have come a long way, especially after a Stephen F. Austin shutout and large crowd for the Texas A&M team’s game.

The 52-0 shutout was the first Mustang shutout since 1983, in their 34-0 game against UT-Arlington.

“We really fed off of the crowd and it was nice to hear the cheers from the fans. It fuels us and helps us in those clutch moments,” Kenneth Acker, SMU junior defensive back, said. Acker was named Conference USA’s defensive player of the game.

The progression is present in the play. The stats are here to prove it too, not to mention the 3,500 seats being added to Ford Stadium for the two home games against A&M and TCU, Sept. 29.

“I’m excited because seats being added will mean more attendance and a louder stadium, but they will be mostly filled with the opposing teams fans and I would like to still have full home field advantage,” Hunt said.

Many Texas A&M fans bought SMU season tickets just for a guaranteed seat at the game.

“My dad is a big Aggie fan and he wanted tickets for this game. Since they were 90 dollars each and season tickets were 98 dollars he figured it was a better deal to be guaranteed tickets,” Madalyn Zapletal, SMU sophomore, said.

This year there has also been a rise in SMU’s advertisement.

Many billboards around the Dallas area say, “SMU is Dallas’ Team” and “SMU is College Football.”

“We have seen an uptick in sales and think that will continue as awareness of the program continues to grow,” Sutton said.