The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Men’s soccer suffers C-USA loss against UAB

The No. 15 SMU men’s soccer team was defeated 1-0 against the UAB Blazers  Wednesday night at Westcott Field. This loss drops the Mustangs to an overall record of 9-5-1 and a C-USA record of 3-2-1.

A number of shots were taken during the first half, which allowed both teams to find open spots for shots on goal. The Mustangs outshot the Blazers 13-9, but they could not find the back of the net. As for the Blazers, one rebound shot flew past SMU sophomore goalkeeper Jaime Ibarra at the 38th minute.

Out of the six corner kicks that UAB had, the last one led to the goal. UAB freshman defender Darien Copeland headed the ball to the left side of the goal after a first header rebounded off the far left post.

The Mustangs went back to the locker rooms, heads down at halftime, as they reflected on the late first half UAB goal.

“It was a mistake. We gave up about six corner kicks. They had some big guys and it was hard to defend them,” SMU senior defender Diogo de Almeida said.

The second half was filled with fewer shots, but with more excitement for the fans. SMU senior midfielder Arthur Ivo, who took eight shots, had a free kick late in the second half that hit the top post on UAB goalkeeper Carl Woszczynski’s goal. The fans all stood up raising their arms, thinking the ball was heading towards the net.

Ibarra also gave the fans a reason to cheer with one of his high-flying saves. UAB midfielder Moses Adeniran took a shot on goal a few yards outside the box, but Ibarra punched it out with his right hand to a corner kick.

de Almeida also put on a show for the fans every time he carried the ball on the left side of the field. UAB had their right side opened most of the time, leaving opportunity for the Mustangs to run the ball up. On one of de Almeida’s carries, he fired the ball unexpectedly . The ball curved enough only to hit the upper left 90 post and leaving the fans with cheers for a while.

“We were behind a goal so every opportunity I had to go for it and shoot, I would just try to score a goal or pass it to a teammate for a goal,” de Almeida said.

Although the Mustangs outshot the Blazers, 24-18, most of the shots ended up going out of target. UAB recorded eight shots on goal, while the Mustangs only recorded six.

The Mustangs are back on the road Sunday morning as they face Kentucky at the UK Soccer Complex.