Mustangs swing into third place at NIT

The SMU men’s golf team finished in third place out of 14 teams at the National Invitational Tournament in the Omni Tucson National in Tucson, Ariz. this past Wednesday and Thursday.

The Mustangs shot 587 as a team at the par-72, 7200-yard competition during Wednesday’s two rounds, and four SMU athletes came in the top 30. TCU (No. 22) finished on top at 569 after the first day of play.

After finishing up Wednesday in a tie for fifth place with Cal, SMU’s tournament-low round of 278 Thursday earned them a third place finish. The team’s final score was 865.

SMU played well, with junior Kelly Kraft and sophomores Matt Schovee and James Kwon all breaking 70 on Thursday. Kraft shot 68 and Schovee and Kwon each carded a 69.

At 215, Kraft and Schovee tied for fifth place and Kwon tied for 12th at 216. Senior Draegen Majors shot 220 for a 24th place finish.

TCU came up with the team win, shooting 286 in Round 1 and 283 in Rounds 2 and 3 for a total score of 852.

No. 7 ranked Texas came up just three shots ahead of the Mustangs with a total score of 862.
Next, SMU heads to Austin for the 44th annual Morris Williams Intercollegiate on April 5 and 6.

The tournament is held in memory of former UT golf standout Morris Williams, Jr. who died while serving in the Air Force in 1953.

The Mustangs finished eighth in the tournament last year.